Aug 22, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
You remember Ubuntu, don’t you? The magical phrase that Doc Rivers used in 2007-2008 to bring the Celtics together under a team concept of sacrifice and unity. And though the “Ubuntu” tagline was phased out as the years went on, it’s been the formula for all the success Boston has achieved since the Big 3 were formed. Consistently in the “Mic’d Up” segments you’d see on television with Rivers, you’d hear him screaming “Play together!” It’s that chemistry and unity that they feel is the reason for their championship and postseason success. (Apparently the Lakers were a little bit closer. Which makes sense. Ron Artest does hang out with Kobe in the shower.)
Well, Paul Pierce has looked at the changes Boston has made to their roster, and thinks that for the sake of chemistry, they need some alone time.
For years, the Celtics have spent camp in Newport, Rhode Island at Salve Regina University. But Pierce told the Boston Herald he wants the team to get away for camp in order to bond, or whatever. From ye old Boston.com:
“I think it would be good for this group to get away,” said Pierce. “I’m really getting tired of Newport. Really, I want to go somewhere else.
“Newport is good, but I want to go somewhere else. It would be good to get away with this type of group, when you have Jermaine and Shaq.
“When you got new guys and these types of personalities, I think it’s good for all of us to get out, be at a dinner table — me, Shaq, Kevin [Garnett], Ray [Allen], Jermaine. I think it would be good for that relationship, building that chemistry. We get away and go somewhere, that’s something we’ll definitely do.”
That sounds downright, special, Pierce. We think it’s such a good idea, we came up with a few ideas for you.
1. Disney World: You guys can bring the kids, go to Epcot Center (Big Baby will love the world food exhibit at Epcot), and get your picture taken with Mickey Mouse! Think about how the unity you’ll gain when you all go on Space Mountain together! (Note: Shaq may not be able to go on Space Mountain. And probably not Perkins with the knee either. And Rondo’s freakish fingers might get lopped off. Okay,Space Mountain is out). And hey, all the big stars go to Florida….oh. Awkward. Maybe not.
2. Yosemite National Park: Ah, nature. What better way to bond with your fellow man than camping under the stars, enjoying s’mores (again, Davis, big fan), contemplating the beauty of nature while having to build fires and stuff. Wait, is Nate Robinson still on the team? Okay, maybe fire’s a bad plan. But you guys could go see Ol’ Faithful! Of course, Shaq might try and say it was nothing and spend the rest of the trip trying to prove he can spit water higher, but still! Think of the hiking adventures! All those long miles, cross terrain, on your… old… knees… okay, Yosemite’s out, too.
3. Las Vegas: Oh, sorry, you probably meant somewhere you don’t spend 60% of your free time. Our bad.
4. Haiti: You want to get together and work for something greater? You want to see what hard work is really about? You want to commit to something together? Why not go to Haiti and help build houses. Or go to any third world nation and help them get themselves off the ground. You can hire security. And this will give you perspective. The best way to get closer is to do something for the greater good together. It’s not easy, it’s not convenient. But it would work.
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 2
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 5
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 8
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6