Aug 22, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
Mikhail Torrance went into this draft pick as an intriguing prospect — a 6’5″ point guard with some flash out of Alabama.
But he also had a known heart condition — an enlarged heart — that had never slowed him in college but gave NBA teams pause and he went undrafted. He signed with Maccabi Tel Aviv to play next season overseas.
In a tragic turn of events, Torrance collapsed on the court Friday and nearly died, he remains in the hospital in critical but stable condition, according to FanHouse.
Torrance was in training for the season at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida when he collapsed during a workout. The silver lining of this is that if you are going to have health issues this was about the best place for it to happen, with multiple trainers and medical staff able to get there and help him almost instantly. Early reports said he was in an induced coma but was to be brought out of it so that they could assess where he is in terms of brain function.
His basketball future is certainly murky now, but the fact he has a future on the planet is what really matters. Our best wishes and prayers are with him and his family.
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 2
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 16
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 17
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6