Aug 22, 2010, 3:00 PM EST
Mikhail Torrance went into this draft pick as an intriguing prospect — a 6’5″ point guard with some flash out of Alabama.
But he also had a known heart condition — an enlarged heart — that had never slowed him in college but gave NBA teams pause and he went undrafted. He signed with Maccabi Tel Aviv to play next season overseas.
In a tragic turn of events, Torrance collapsed on the court Friday and nearly died, he remains in the hospital in critical but stable condition, according to FanHouse.
Torrance was in training for the season at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida when he collapsed during a workout. The silver lining of this is that if you are going to have health issues this was about the best place for it to happen, with multiple trainers and medical staff able to get there and help him almost instantly. Early reports said he was in an induced coma but was to be brought out of it so that they could assess where he is in terms of brain function.
His basketball future is certainly murky now, but the fact he has a future on the planet is what really matters. Our best wishes and prayers are with him and his family.
- Damian Lillard, as stature grows, refuses to become content 1
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You may want to try and cover Marc Gasol 7
- Jimmy Butler on Derrick Rose: “We want him to be 100 percent” for the playoffs 11
- Report: Free agent market for Jeff Green is as strong ‘if not stronger’ than it is for Rajon Rondo 20
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 54
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11