Aug 20, 2010, 9:30 AM EDT
The basketball Hall of Fame thing gets confusing. Because just one week ago we had inductions into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, which is the one we Americans tend to think of first. But there is also the FIBA Hall of Fame. And there is no NBA Hall of Fame, it just kind of tags along with the Naismith.
FIBA has just announced the class for its Hall of Fame, headlined by everyone’s favorite chain smoking center Vlade Divac. We think of him as the crafty (read: flopping) center from the Lakers and Kings, but he was also someone who transformed the Serbian national team as a player.
Other names on the list you may recognize include Arvydas Sabonis, a truly great center who we only got to see in the United States at the end of his career (and he was still pretty good), and Cheryl Miller, one of the best women basketball players ever to walk the planet. Brazilian star Oscar Schmidt also is on the list.
All well deserved, whatever the criteria for your hall is.
They will be inducted at a ceremony Sept. 12 in Turkey, while the FIBA World Championships are taking place.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 0
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 2
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 35
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 24
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte