Aug 20, 2010, 10:29 AM EDT
Chairs were thrown. Screams were screamed. Sofoklis Schortsanitis probably wrecked a man. Nenad Krstic did some back-pedaling and threw a chair. If you somehow missed the brawl that took place during yesterday’s Greece-Serbia friendly, you’re probably having trouble with this whole internet thing. Just click here, and all of your wildest basketbrawling dreams will be fulfilled.
Unsurprisingly, FIBA announced today that they’re currently reviewing video of the fracas to assess blame and punishment. Here’s a snippet from the official statement:
FIBA, as the sport’s world governing body, is now urgently
reviewing last night’s game and the circumstances leading to the
violence.FIBA will not be commenting on the actions of any individual
player ahead of that review being completed. However, FIBA wishes to
make it clear that it will not hesitate from taking the strongest
possible action against any individual found to have brought the sport
of basketball into disrepute.
That’s bad news for Sofo, Krstic, Antonis Fotsis, and any participant who ranked highly in Tom Ziller’s fantastic Greece-Serbia Brawl Power Rankings. The more powerful the display, the more likely that player is to incur FIBA’s wrath.
The altercation was rather insane, but it’s unknown exactly how far FIBA will go to punish the offending parties. Greece and Serbia are definitely players in the World Championship scene, and a significant suspension could definitely throw a wrench into the preliminary games. However, the NBA really doesn’t seem to have an jurisdiction to punish Nenad Krstic here. Though David Stern may want to reach across the globe, he really has no call to punish the Thunder big man.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47