Aug 20, 2010, 7:00 PM EST
Darren Collison has gone from being the guy who backs up Chris Paul to the man expected to turn Indiana’s fortunes around. No pressure.
I think we have a lot of good things to look forward to, but I want to make the playoffs this year. I don’t want to wait. I don’t want to do none of that. I don’t want to talk about it, and I wanna work hard to make the playoffs this year. I think this city and this organization deserves it.”
Collison at the helm of a running offense and Danny Granger full of Team USA confidence should make the Pacers a better team. Making the playoffs in the East will not be easy. There are six teams that are virtual locks: Heat, Celtics, Magic, Hawks, Bulls and Bucks. That leaves two spots for the Pacers, Knicks Nets, Sixers, Pistons, Bobcats and Wizards to fight over. May be a bit of a stretch, but a good goal for the Pacers.
That’s not going to happen though unless Collison is recovered from his broken finger. He said that is coming along well.
“It’s nothing broken. It’s just fractured. I will be ready to go before training camp. It’s just a slow process right now. It’s not a real cast over it. It’s just a cautionary thing over it that keeps me healing the right way.”
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 3
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 9
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 44
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36
- If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again 16
- Sixers’ leading scorer Tony Wroten suffers partially torn ACL, likely done for season 12