Aug 20, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
The buzz around the league is that Carmelo Anthony has one foot out the door in Denver, and the other foot is planted in a starters block. On the other hand, his own words came off as a man conflicted. A man who hasn’t decided what direction to go.
Chauncey Billups has been talking with ‘Melo to, and tells the Denver Post this is not a done deal.
“He has not once said he didn’t want to be a Nugget,” Billups said. “He loves Denver, he loves the Nuggets, he loves the fans. So, it’s a part of him that I’m sure is eating him up a little bit because he’s taken all this press and he’s not said one thing to support or to not support what they are saying. He’s just trying to enjoy his summer, chill out and he’s in every story. Honestly, I think that the publications and things are out of control.”
Billups also doesn’t really know what Anthony is going to decide.
“I’ve had some very direct conversations with him that I would never share that with anybody else,” said Billups this morning from his hotel room in Spain as he and the U.S. basketball team prepares to face Lithuania Saturday night in Madrid.
“But I think, for me, I try to just speak to him and just kind of help him and see if he needs my help in this whole process because it is a big decision for him. It’s at a crucial time for him in his career and his life. It’s a huge decision. It’s something that’s a big, big deal.”
Nothing is happening fast here. As we said, Denver doesn’t even have a general manager right now, and once they hire someone he will want to sit down with Anthony and his agent. And even then we’re probably not going to see anything happen.
Backroom chatter in the NBA — particularly in August — tends to be where speculation gets let off the leash and runs wild. So few things talked about this time of year happen as predicted. Neither side in this talk is in a position to have to rush. That time will come, if Anthony is leaning toward leaving Denver will have to make a move by the trade deadline.
But that is six months away. Which is an eternity from now. So put your feet up and make yourself comfortable, we’ll be talking about this for a while.
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 5
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 39
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 39
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17