Aug 19, 2010, 3:57 PM EDT
The way he and his agent are now acting, you’d swear Rudy Fernandez was being held hostage at gunpoint somewhere.
So on day 64 of the crisis here’s the status: Fernandez wants to be traded, ideally to be bought out so he can return to Europe. Portland is listing to offers but has held its cards close to its vest so far.
So the same as the day before, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and….
Yesterday Fernandez’s agent said it was “possible” that Fernandez would hold out when camp started. Chris Sheridan of ESPN asked the league if it was Kosher with that.
NBA spokesman Tim Frank said the league was investigating Miller’s and Fernandez’s comments and whether they violated league rules that prohibit players from publicly requesting a trade.
At this point, Fernandez is going to get his wish to be traded, because there is no way he can go back to Portland. Too many bridges burned, including now with the fans.
But there is no reason for Portland GM Rich Cho to be in a rush to make a move. Hold out until it gets closer to camp, or maybe even after camp starts, to see if a better offer rolls in.
Sheridan reports that both the Bulls and Celtics have offered their first round picks next year for Fernandez, while the Knicks have offered Wilson Chandler. Those two picks would be near the end of the first round, and Wilson Chandler is Wilson Chandler. Cho isn’t going to jump at any of that unless he has no other options, so he waits.
And all Fernandez and his agent can do is moan about it.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 18
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona