Aug 19, 2010, 3:01 PM EST
If you talk to Mychal Thompson — the former No. 1 overall pick who may be best known for being part of the back-to-back champion Showtime Lakers — he speaks glowingly about his time playing in Greece.
A lot of players do, they like the overseas experience.
“As far as retiring from the NBA, I think I will be done after this contract because eventually I want to go overseas and play and live for a couple of years. That’s why this is a big contract for me, knowing I’m going to retire a Boston Celtic. I want to go to either Italy or Greece for a year. I think I want to be able to bring my family over to just kind of share a different experience overseas for a couple of years, before I settle into retirement.”
Pierce signed a deal this summer to play three more years as a Celtic, with an option for a fourth. That means he would be age 36 or 37 when he went to play in Greece or Italy. His game might not be the same then, but he’d be a draw and could still knock down shots.
Plus, that would be fun to follow. Pierce loose in the Greek islands… yea, that would be fun.
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 18
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6