Aug 19, 2010, 12:01 PM EDT
Doc Rivers gave very serious consideration to walking away, taking a season off from basketball to hang with his children and decompress.
“I really wanted (Rivers) to hurry up and make the decision, because his future really depended on mine and Ray’s and people don’t understand that. I think a lot of other people’s futures depended on what Doc did, and that’s moving forward as an organization. If Doc doesn’t come back, do we start the (rebuilding) process? I mean, (Ray Allen)’s a free agent, (Kendrick Perkins) went down, I’m on the last year of my deal, so there was a lot of things that could have happened if Doc walked away. That’s why it was big for Doc to come back.”
Now they are all back — with Shaq on board — for one more big run. They think they can show that group down in Miami what a team looks like.
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 13
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 9
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15