Aug 19, 2010, 12:01 PM EST
Doc Rivers gave very serious consideration to walking away, taking a season off from basketball to hang with his children and decompress.
“I really wanted (Rivers) to hurry up and make the decision, because his future really depended on mine and Ray’s and people don’t understand that. I think a lot of other people’s futures depended on what Doc did, and that’s moving forward as an organization. If Doc doesn’t come back, do we start the (rebuilding) process? I mean, (Ray Allen)’s a free agent, (Kendrick Perkins) went down, I’m on the last year of my deal, so there was a lot of things that could have happened if Doc walked away. That’s why it was big for Doc to come back.”
Now they are all back — with Shaq on board — for one more big run. They think they can show that group down in Miami what a team looks like.
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 10
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 5
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 24
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 30
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0