Aug 19, 2010, 12:01 PM EDT
Doc Rivers gave very serious consideration to walking away, taking a season off from basketball to hang with his children and decompress.
“I really wanted (Rivers) to hurry up and make the decision, because his future really depended on mine and Ray’s and people don’t understand that. I think a lot of other people’s futures depended on what Doc did, and that’s moving forward as an organization. If Doc doesn’t come back, do we start the (rebuilding) process? I mean, (Ray Allen)’s a free agent, (Kendrick Perkins) went down, I’m on the last year of my deal, so there was a lot of things that could have happened if Doc walked away. That’s why it was big for Doc to come back.”
Now they are all back — with Shaq on board — for one more big run. They think they can show that group down in Miami what a team looks like.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 11
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 11
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 50
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 33
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 11