Aug 19, 2010, 12:01 PM EDT
Doc Rivers gave very serious consideration to walking away, taking a season off from basketball to hang with his children and decompress.
“I really wanted (Rivers) to hurry up and make the decision, because his future really depended on mine and Ray’s and people don’t understand that. I think a lot of other people’s futures depended on what Doc did, and that’s moving forward as an organization. If Doc doesn’t come back, do we start the (rebuilding) process? I mean, (Ray Allen)’s a free agent, (Kendrick Perkins) went down, I’m on the last year of my deal, so there was a lot of things that could have happened if Doc walked away. That’s why it was big for Doc to come back.”
Now they are all back — with Shaq on board — for one more big run. They think they can show that group down in Miami what a team looks like.
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 12
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 37
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 35
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 58
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43