Crime lab mishandled evidence in murder of Michael Jordan's father

Aug 19, 2010, 7:35 PM EST

NBA_jordan3_250.jpgWhere is Horatio Caine when you need him?

The crime lab in Raleigh, North Carolina, mishandled evidence in more than 200 cases in a 16-year span, according to an independent report obtained by the Associated Press. That means a lot of cases are about to be re-opened.

One of those may well be Daniel Andre Green, the man convicted of killing Michael Jordan’s father.

Green admitted this much at trial: he helped dispose of the elder Jordan’s body and drove his car, but the lawyers denied that Green killed him. It was co-defendant Larry Demery that said Green had pulled the trigger at point blank range.

Green’s lawyers questioned at trial why there was so little blood in the car if the shot had been as close as Demery claimed. The mishandling of the blood evidence in this case could open it up again. State prosecutors are looking to the cases, and Green’s current attorney is about to file an appeal based on this.

One feels for Jordan, the current owner of the Charlotte Bobcats, in all this. Remember it was a couple months after the death of his father that Jordan retired from the NBA and went to play minor league baseball. It took an emotional toll on him, and now it may come back up.

1. davidly - Aug 20, 2010 at 10:45 AM

MJ probably doesn’t care about the tainted nature of this because of what those two guys did after they found the body.

2. nowayjose - Aug 20, 2010 at 10:55 AM

So, david, you are saying that MJ doesn’t care about finding the real murderer? The two teens who found his father claimed that they found him already dead. That means somebody else killed him, yet the crime lab apparently wanted the first people arrested to be found guilty.
    I always am profoundly puzzled by this type of logic.
    It seems the spirit of anger and desire to punish the first person arrested causes many Americans, like you, to not consider the fact that when an innocent is jailed, the real killer goes free.
    This is a horrible, horrible state of mind. You can add 1 plus 1. You can tie your shoe. you are an adult; yet you don’t seem to understand that justice has two important elements:
    a)Punishment
    b)Crime prevention
    If the real killers always go free, they kill again. And again. And again. Hello! Earth to David. You still can understand crime prevention, right?

3. tyrone biggums - Aug 20, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Umm..the reason MJ went to baseball was because the NBA found out about his gambling habits.
    Not because of his father, although there are rumors that his father was killed because of his gambling. Can we please take his halo away?

4. davidly - Aug 20, 2010 at 11:10 AM

I assume you were responding to me. The implication I was trying to make, is that he has a pretty good idea from whence the murderer comes and knows that no one is ever going to pinpoint just who it is.

5. pjmjfan - Aug 20, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Halo was taken away a long time ago…but you speak as fact. Only MJ knows the true reason why he retired. Not you. Not Kurt Helin. Frankly, my opinion is both factors weighed heavy on his decision to step away from the game. Who knows? Who cares? I’m so tired of the whiny MJ haters always claiming he has a halo. He does not, but he played his role well in the NBA and brought the game to a whole new level, on and off the court. The NBA’s crazy popularity through his playing years, and several years thereafter was due to His Airness. Just like Tiger lost his halo, golf still owes its current popularity to him. Kobe, for a time, fell into the same category, and still does to some degree. LBJ the same way…Tom Brady…Brett Favre, etc.

6. Briell - Aug 20, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Can we please have a little sensitivity that the man’s father was murdered and those wounds are about the be reopened by the SBI’s faults? Who cares what kind of a man Michael Jordan is, this is not about him as a character. This is about the mistakes that the police made that may allow 2 killers to be released, or may have allowed a killer to remain free and roaming around an unsuspecting town (in which I reside in!).
    Just once I would love to see a story taken for what it is without people tearing into each other.

7. tyrone biggums - Aug 20, 2010 at 12:17 PM

1.) please dont bring up Brett Favre. Biggest A hole in sports. If he was black he would be the most hated man in sports.
    2.) MJ ushered in a new era for the NBA? You must mean the era when no one has to dribble anymore and Shaq can elbow anybodys’ face if he pleases and the Refs have there own bets going.
    3.) I’m not an MJ hater. I’m an NBA hater and he is part of the reason. The “MJ Era” is why most of my friends only watch college hoops now.

8. Jordan - Aug 20, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Sure didn’t take long for someone to play the race card…SURPRISE, SURPRISE… (Looking @ Tyrone). Read this article:
    (http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/08/19/racial-double-standard-favre/ ) that Jason Whitlock wrote and get over yourself.
    Your 3 points have nothing to do with the above article. I think you just like to put some random stuff out there just to talk right? I agree with Briell…read the story and have some respect, if not for MJ’s dad, at least for yourself.

9. Jordan - Aug 20, 2010 at 1:27 PM

10. tyrone biggums - Aug 20, 2010 at 1:46 PM

my three points are for pjmjfan. please read all post b4 posting

11. in FLORIDA - Aug 20, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Tyrone, the halo left right around the same time as he concluded his Hall of Fame induction ceremony speech. I’ve known MJ for quite some time, not as a friend, but as a reporter for a sports radio station. He was always nice to me and I liked being around him; would even consider myself a ‘fan’ of his… until I heard his HOF rant.

12. pjmjfan - Aug 20, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Okay, “NBA hater”, you must love misery, otherwise you wouldn’t care about NBA news. You’re just another chump who find joy in negativity. Done.

Can Rockets, Grizzlies keep up hot starts?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches