Brandon Roy apologizes for appearance in marijuana positive rap video

Aug 18, 2010, 9:50 AM EDT

nba_roy_250.jpgBrandon Roy is pretty late to the “appear in a rap video” trend. If pasty white Mark Cuban is doing one before you, you are tardy.

But Roy — along with Atlanta’s Jamal Crawford — is in the new video for Cali & Cavalli’s “What They Want,” which first showed up over at BlazersEdge. The music and video itself is pretty run of the mill — they brag about making tons of money and how badass they are to a pretty simplistic rhythm.

Oh, and a guy rolls one up. Some 4:20. The Ganja. The mota. That’s marijuana for those of you over 40 reading this.

So in one scene you have Roy mugs for the camera, a few scenes later someone is rolling one up. I’m not going to run the video because of the NSFW lyrics (and this is still a national news organization with a book of standards and regulations, plus I really like my job).

Blazers edge caught up with Roy who apologized profusely.

“The first thing when I seen it, I was really disappointed with myself. I’m usually a guy who’s very conscious of what’s going on around him…

“It’s something I shouldn’t have been involved in. I don’t smoke marijuana. I don’t think kids should do it. I’m against those things. I just feel really bad that that’s something that’s associated with my name and my family. And that’s not what we’re about.

“I think the biggest thing is I don’t want to shine a lot of light on the video because it’s something that I don’t want kids watching and saying, ‘Hey, Brandon Roy was in there.’

“It’s a situation where I should have been more responsible. Usually I am. I don’t want to sound naive. Like, ‘Hey, I didn’t know nothing about what was going on.’ I did know the guys were shooting the video but I wasn’t participating in what they were talking about. I didn’t even know what the topic of their video was.

“They’re old friends. For me, I was trying to be nice but at the same time I don’t want to be a part of something like that.”

It’s not the association of marijuana and Roy that really is the issue, Oregon in general and Portland in particular are about as laissez faire on the topic as it comes.

But after the “Jail Blazers” era, people up there are pretty sensitive to their hoop stars being tied to drug use. No matter how tenuous the ties. But the fans there should not be getting all over Roy — he’s one of the good guys. He owned up to it. He apologized. This is not a Lance Stephenson-level issue. Time to be laissez faire and move on to real issues again.

1. Bob - Aug 18, 2010 at 10:03 AM

He. Plays. Basketball.

2. michael beasley - Aug 18, 2010 at 11:25 AM

i dont see what the big deal is

3. Brandan - Aug 18, 2010 at 12:35 PM

I hate how the media mess with athletes private life. Besides there is no big deal indeed. I think people who excuse their bad habit of messing with athletes private life because of them being an example are just lame for not being able of providing an example themselves. Each child’s example should be his parents, not any public figure, as far as I concern Roy is ok so far.

4. dms - Aug 18, 2010 at 3:16 PM

But if he was in the video holding a bottle of whiskey, everything would be a-ok eventhough it’s proven daily that alcohol is WAAAAAAY worse and destroys WAAAAAY more families than weed could ever do. It makes perfect sense to me…NOT

5. dms - Aug 18, 2010 at 3:17 PM

6. clf - Aug 18, 2010 at 4:49 PM

So as far as Jamal Crawford and Brandon Roy being in this video i don’t think that it’s a big deal. They clearly aren’t rolling up weed or even in the same scene as the person that is. If im driving in my car listening to this song i would never imagine it being about weed. I felt like it was about getting money and that they are clearly doing and in a positive way. They showed basketball scene’s in the video a nice car and two young men that are making lots of money. STOP READING SO FAR INTO THINGS. It’s our job to be role models to our kids and it’s the athletes job to win games.Honestly back up and find another hobby critics. They were both innocent in this one.. Their not perfect and i don’t believe that the people that’s making a big deal over this video are.If your looking to catch athlete’s messing up watch their games cause that’s all they owe to us… Is to do their jobs what their paid to do!!!!

7. Willy D - Aug 18, 2010 at 6:25 PM

It is a big deal! Two prominent NBA stars in a video where people are glorifying drugs. Nice. They are even rolling up a blunt in the video with the weed on display!
    Just what the league needs. More people from the Hood smoking weed with NBA players.
    Whiskey is LEGAL. Cars kill more people than weed, but cars are LEGAl. I wonder how their sponsors feel about weed being promoted. While they are not responsible for the final cut, they are responsible for hanging out with clowns who have nothing to lose.
    Stupid, just stupid.

8. Anonymous - Aug 19, 2010 at 12:30 AM

No one is “smoking weed with NBA stars” in this video. I do believe that it was a mistake, and these guys should have looked further into what the video was about. However, I do not think it is as big of a deal as you are making it. They are human. I am sure that you have made mistakes, Willy D. I am sure that some were much worse than making allowing the wrong person to video tape you standing somewhere. Brandon Roy took responsibility and addressed it immediately. I would want my kids to do the same, when they make mistakes. Athletes are not perfect, but Brandon Roy is positive role-model. Of course, parents should ultimately set the standard.

9. Anonymous - Aug 19, 2010 at 12:31 AM

No one is “smoking weed with NBA players” in this video. I do believe that it was a mistake, and these guys should have looked further into what the video was about. However, I do not think it is as big of a deal as you are making it. They are human. I am sure that you have made mistakes, Willy D. I am sure that some were much worse than making allowing the wrong person to video tape you standing somewhere. Brandon Roy took responsibility and addressed it immediately. I would want my kids to do the same, when they make mistakes. Athletes are not perfect, but Brandon Roy is positive role-model. Of course, parents should ultimately set the standard.

10. ColdCutz1 - Aug 19, 2010 at 12:32 AM

No one is “smoking weed with NBA players” in this video. I do believe that it was a mistake, and these guys should have looked further into what the video was about. However, I do not think it is as big of a deal as you are making it. They are human. I am sure that you have made mistakes, Willy D. I am sure that some were much worse than allowing the wrong person to video tape you standing somewhere. Brandon Roy took responsibility and addressed it immediately. I would want my kids to do the same, when they make mistakes. Athletes are not perfect, but Brandon Roy is positive role-model. Of course, parents should ultimately set the standard.

Woodson, D'Antoni's coaching futures