Aug 18, 2010, 12:02 PM EDT
UPDATE 12:02 pm: The Brazilian doctors have taken an MRI of Varejao’s right ankle and there is no serious damage. In fact, he could play tomorrow, according to Cleveland AP writer Tom Withers.
Also, the Cavaliers have spoken to Varejao and know this is nothing serious.
8:56 am: Cleveland’s Anderson Varejao suffered an ankle injury severe enough to be taken to the hospital, but apparently will only be out of action about a week.
Varejao’s Brazilian team was taking on Spain in a warm-up for the upcoming FIBA World Championships when Spain’s Fran Vazquez fell on him causing the injury, as first reported here by NBA.com’s Sam Amico. And for those wondering, yes, that would be the same Fran Vazquez who was drafted by and spurned Orlando.
Reports on the severity of the injury are sketchy, but international basketball journalist Juan Carlos Mozo says the newspaper reports say Varejao will be out a week (found by Matt Moore for the NBA Facts & Rumors blog).
If true, that would have Varejao back in time for the start of the World Championships, or at least only a game or two into it. Cleveland fans hope it is true, because Varejao is one of he few things to look forward to for the Cavaliers this season. That and lottery parites.
By the way, Spain thumped Brazil 84-68. The Spanish could pull off the World Cup/basketball World Championships double this year.
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 0
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 10
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 6
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 38
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 6
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 15