Aug 18, 2010, 12:02 PM EDT
UPDATE 12:02 pm: The Brazilian doctors have taken an MRI of Varejao’s right ankle and there is no serious damage. In fact, he could play tomorrow, according to Cleveland AP writer Tom Withers.
Also, the Cavaliers have spoken to Varejao and know this is nothing serious.
8:56 am: Cleveland’s Anderson Varejao suffered an ankle injury severe enough to be taken to the hospital, but apparently will only be out of action about a week.
Varejao’s Brazilian team was taking on Spain in a warm-up for the upcoming FIBA World Championships when Spain’s Fran Vazquez fell on him causing the injury, as first reported here by NBA.com’s Sam Amico. And for those wondering, yes, that would be the same Fran Vazquez who was drafted by and spurned Orlando.
Reports on the severity of the injury are sketchy, but international basketball journalist Juan Carlos Mozo says the newspaper reports say Varejao will be out a week (found by Matt Moore for the NBA Facts & Rumors blog).
If true, that would have Varejao back in time for the start of the World Championships, or at least only a game or two into it. Cleveland fans hope it is true, because Varejao is one of he few things to look forward to for the Cavaliers this season. That and lottery parites.
By the way, Spain thumped Brazil 84-68. The Spanish could pull off the World Cup/basketball World Championships double this year.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 16
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 24
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 27
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 30
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30