Aug 18, 2010, 12:02 PM EDT
UPDATE 12:02 pm: The Brazilian doctors have taken an MRI of Varejao’s right ankle and there is no serious damage. In fact, he could play tomorrow, according to Cleveland AP writer Tom Withers.
Also, the Cavaliers have spoken to Varejao and know this is nothing serious.
8:56 am: Cleveland’s Anderson Varejao suffered an ankle injury severe enough to be taken to the hospital, but apparently will only be out of action about a week.
Varejao’s Brazilian team was taking on Spain in a warm-up for the upcoming FIBA World Championships when Spain’s Fran Vazquez fell on him causing the injury, as first reported here by NBA.com’s Sam Amico. And for those wondering, yes, that would be the same Fran Vazquez who was drafted by and spurned Orlando.
Reports on the severity of the injury are sketchy, but international basketball journalist Juan Carlos Mozo says the newspaper reports say Varejao will be out a week (found by Matt Moore for the NBA Facts & Rumors blog).
If true, that would have Varejao back in time for the start of the World Championships, or at least only a game or two into it. Cleveland fans hope it is true, because Varejao is one of he few things to look forward to for the Cavaliers this season. That and lottery parites.
By the way, Spain thumped Brazil 84-68. The Spanish could pull off the World Cup/basketball World Championships double this year.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50