The Utah Jazz really did upgrade their uniforms

Aug 17, 2010, 3:57 PM EDT

jazz_uniform.jpgThis is the time of year when teams unveil their “new” uniforms, which usually is a couple of minor changes to the old uniform around the neck line, or using a different numbers font. Not thrilling, but it’s good enough for a press release and an off-season party.

But the Utah Jazz have made some genuine changes this year.

They’ve got some retro look — putting the musical notes back on the front — but with an updated style. This is a huge improvement over the road uniforms that are a big upgrade over the blue-on-blue “Utah” jerseys they had been going with.

Plus, Al Jefferson looks good in a Jazz uni, doesn’t he?

1. SonOfaNOLA - Aug 17, 2010 at 4:28 PM

I can tell you this seeing them piss me off. I think the Hornets and the Jazz need to pull of a trade. Give us our name and logo back and take the Hornets name and logo. It is the easiest trade and makes the most sense because Utah is the beehive state and New Orleans is the birth place of Jazz (and original home of the Jazz). Not to mention isn’t/wasn’t Jazz illegal in Utah at one point.

2. scott - Aug 17, 2010 at 4:35 PM

NOOOOOO!!!! I don’t care that Utah Jazz doesn’t make sense, it sounds so cool. I love the new look and logo, GO JAZZ!!!

3. JC - Aug 17, 2010 at 4:39 PM

@NOLA – you guys had your chance with the Jazz but couldn’t back the team, why should they give it back? it’s theirs now, let the Hornets be a bold reminder that if your fans can’t back you, you lose the nickname along with the history.

4. B.O.B. - Aug 17, 2010 at 4:39 PM

I second the motion on the floor and call for the Jazz name and logo to be returned to New Orleans. The Utah Hornets sounds about just fine.

5. SonOfaNOLA - Aug 17, 2010 at 4:52 PM

@JC no your right and it should serve as a reminder and I know it does the Hornets tried to pull some stuff/relocate/void lease agreement right after Katrina (much like the Saints and any other major business) and the fans snaged up season tickets in droves like 15,000 or so of them and the Jazz were used as the what can happen argument. I know their loss still burns deep in a lot of folks.
    Keep the history it is yours but I would love for that name to come back some day. I remember being a kid and watching them in the Superdome. Hard to picture now but they used to play basket ball games in the dome. I am just happy we have BasketBall back here now and that the outlook for that team is pretty good (especially when the ownership transfer kicks in).

6. scott - Aug 17, 2010 at 4:53 PM

seriously? Utah hornets? Barf. There are plenty of jazz bands in Utah to justify the name i’m sure. And the Hornets are doing ….. Ok. Leave it be.

7. David - Aug 17, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Can’t believe people are still having this discussion. Whether it “makes sense” or not, the name of team is the Utah Jazz and they have been here for over 30 years.
    Oh, and I love the new uniforms!

8. Darius - Aug 17, 2010 at 6:05 PM

The last jerseys they had were better. They should’ve went back to the 1′s they were n the last 90′s. I dont know y teams do this. Last yr the Sixers this yr the Jazz, going back to classic jerseys that r worse than the previous ones. If your gonna take it back then make them look better like the Warriors new unis

9. vw - Aug 17, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Okay, while we are trading names, lets have the Lakers give their name back to Minnesota.

10. spence - Aug 17, 2010 at 10:43 PM

nice one vw. excellent point

11. ray ray - Aug 17, 2010 at 11:41 PM

somebody call the wahbulance. give back the name to new orleans. grow up. its been a little over 25 years since the jazz left new orleans. and new orleans wasn’t around until the last 7 or 8 years. cry me a river. its the utah jazz blues now.

12. Thick - Aug 17, 2010 at 11:48 PM

at SonOfaNOLA
    Are you kidding me. Who cares if it does not makes sense? The Utah Jazz have become one of the most successful NBA franchises since moving from New Orleans.
    Changing the name Utah Jazz is like changing the name Toronto Maple Leafs ot the Toronto Maple Leaves

13. MC Welk - Aug 18, 2010 at 12:18 PM

New Orleans, you can have “Jazz” back as long as we can call our basketball team the “Utah Saints.”

14. CLTmanDan - Aug 18, 2010 at 4:39 PM

How about sending the Jazz to NO, Bobcats to Utah, and give the hornets name back to Charlotte. I wouldn’t mind having Hugo back where he belongs…

15. SonOfaNOLA - Aug 18, 2010 at 5:30 PM

I would take that trade on the grounds that it would not have any effect on the Superbowl Champion New Orleans Saints of the NFL. There would be a Utah Saints NBA team and a New Orleans Saints NFL team. Besides the Utah Saints would need a drasticly diffrent logo since France has nothing to do with Utah and as such a Fleur-de-lis would look pretty out of place, but you know what they say imitation is the highest form of flattery.

16. K. v. - Aug 19, 2010 at 5:22 PM

I know. It’s totally unrealistic. Like the LA Lakers. Perhaps we should talk the Lakers into giving the name to Utah (Salt Lake City), N.O. can have the Jazz and LA can take the hornets . . oh wait . . that would be stupid!
    It’s ours to keep and it rules. good luck with the bug mascot!
    P.S. Deron Williams > cp3.
    P.S.S. We also claim Pistol Pete so stop pretending he was a hornet!

17. Lakers24 - Aug 20, 2010 at 7:42 AM

Those jerseys are ugly as hell!!!!!!!! They look like bootleg Indiana Pacer jerseys with a Jazz logo on them. That green just don’t fit.

18. Lakers24 - Aug 20, 2010 at 7:57 AM

19. Anonymous - Aug 20, 2010 at 3:59 PM

Its the beehive state not the hornet state

20. ¡babatunde! - Aug 22, 2010 at 3:07 AM

This pissed me the ef off so bad the old light blues were tight… these are so gay and ugly this is a serious down grade… and really this is 2010 not the 1970′s why is everyone going retro I hate em th worriors the cavs and the sixers messed up big time by going retro… oh yeah and to the dude that said that it sould be utah bobcats charlotte hornets and new orleans jazz I totally agree wit ya… GO CARMELO no matter were u go Ill follow but u should stay!…

21. ¡babatunde! - Aug 22, 2010 at 12:00 PM