Ron Artest: "I partied hard as hell"

Aug 17, 2010, 7:48 PM EDT

Thumbnail image for rartest_postgame.jpgNo Laker has enjoyed the spoils of being a champion this summer like Ron Artest.

Then again, no Laker earned the right to party with a great Game 7 of the finals like Ron Artest.

And party Ron Artest has, as he said in an interview with FanHouse.

It’s been fun — a little too much fun. I partied hard as hell. I was gone. But the good thing is that I worked out (during that time). Last year at this time I was 270-something (pounds), and this year I’m 255, 258. I’m totally focused. Like this (cranberry and vodka drink in his hand) is probably my second drink in like a month, and usually in the summertime I get (his drinking) in. I get it in every night. But I’m going to come in at about 245, 240 this year, and get back to that Defensive Player of the Year weight.

Artest has matured. He’s not mature like Phil Jackson, but he has matured. Maybe it’s because he has gotten older, maybe it’s hanging around the laser focus of Kobe Bryant, maybe it’s the voice of Jackson like an angel on his shoulder telling him not to take that extra drink. Telling him to hit the gym hungover or not. Who knows? Maybe some combination of all three.

But Artest sounds like a lot of veteran players — they get a taste of the winning and they like it. They want more. (Although motivation was never the question with Ron-Ron, it was maturity, so please see the previous paragraph.) And despite the South Beach party, the Lakers are still the team everyone has to beat, the team with the most talent. The team that, if healthy, will give Miami matchup fits.

Artest is already putting in the work. And that could be trouble for the rest of the league. And bad news for bartenders at his favorite haunts.

1. tony - Aug 17, 2010 at 8:01 PM

2. ericsc4003500 - Aug 17, 2010 at 8:18 PM

I used to hate Ron but now that he’s a laker I love this guy,
    You can tell that Ron has a lot of respect for Kobe and
    now he’s focus on the next ring. Hey Miami here we come and
    don’t make any excuse that u r a young team cause We don’t care.
    Way to go Ron and stay focus for this season. Let’s go LAKERS LET’S GO KOBE. Oh yea What’s up to my boys from Oakland 3500…

3. Ericsc400 - Aug 17, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Way to go Ron, I love this guy like Kobe said. For those who are
    claiming Miami well let me tell you; YOUR PARTY IS OVER. Kobe and the Lakers are back and Lebronce and Waste are no match. Kobe for life Lakers for life. Oh yea what’s up to my people from Oakland ca

4. Bogmon - Aug 17, 2010 at 8:29 PM

I never thought I could like a Laker….but I really dig Ron Artest.
    He really is the most honest man in sports….he totally lets his guard down and you get to see him for who he really is.
    I can’t wait for his TV show!

5. Bizzle - Aug 17, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Count Tha Ringz, Son

6. Bill-Sonora - Aug 17, 2010 at 10:10 PM

“A guy shoots 39 percent and people say he had a “great” game. I guess compared to the other turd bombs in one of the worst game 7’s I’ve ever seen it was “great”.”
    YEA IDIOT. ITS CALLED A GREAT DEFENSIVE GAME WITH THE TWO BEST DEFENSIVE TEAMS IN THE LEAGUE PLAYING THEIR LAST GAME OF THE YEAR.
    YOU’RE JUST A HATER. PROBABLY BECAUSE YOUR TEAM SUCKS.

7. Seymour - Aug 17, 2010 at 10:48 PM

tony obviously didnt get enough love growing up, never played sports, and cant see any good in honesty. Sounds like a bitter old man.

8. rizzo - Aug 17, 2010 at 11:12 PM

i don’t think Jackson is telling him to stop drink. It was Jackson who admitted to smoking hippie lettuce when he played ball and also said LSD changed his life for the better.

9. Salty - Aug 18, 2010 at 11:26 AM

How can you not like this guy.He’s like a kid who won’t stop jumping on the couch.

10. KW - Aug 18, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Tony it’s time to take off that shi**y green loston jersey and forever celebrate your ’08 title since it will be the only one you and your loser team will have for at least the next 20-30 yrs. Take a vacation to wisconsin and buy some cheese to go with your whine fool!

11. Bharath Venkat - Aug 18, 2010 at 2:28 PM

I wrote a post for my blog regarding the 1992 Dream Team and a 2010 Dream Team that I created. Here is my post: http://pardonmybias.com/1992-dream-team-vs-my-2010-dream-team/
    Feel free to comment and voice your own bias!

12. Dean Chaban - Aug 18, 2010 at 7:05 PM

If Ron Ron truly is motivated, then the Lakers will be that much better. If he gets to learn when to take his shot and when to pass it up, he will be truly dangerous in the triangle.

13. Truth-is-Real - Aug 18, 2010 at 10:33 PM

lol

14. Anonymous - Aug 19, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Just another faker lol whatever Ron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Anonymous - Aug 19, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Hey KW jealousy will eat you alive…its time for you to GOI and move on. Oh and the next 20-30 years of your life will go quickly!!be amithed

16. Van - Aug 19, 2010 at 2:58 PM

KW, there is so much for you to learn. Stop being a “hater”. The Lakers are the “best in the league”.
    Quality play along with a true love for the game are the qualities that have always defined the Lakers.
    The lineup of super players are just too numerous to mention, however, Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant, Ron Artest, Derek Fisher, James Worthy, Norm Nixon, Byron Scott, Kareem, Shaq, Jerry West, Bob MacAdoo, Jamaal Wilkes, are but a few that comes to mind.
    Congratulations LA Lakers on your many many successes.

17. Polo from florida - Aug 19, 2010 at 7:44 PM

The Lakers are great now.but I can tell you 5 or 6 years from now
    they are not going to be dominant. The reasons are Kobe is going to be too old. I can bet my money on it, Kobe skills is going to diminish. It happens to all the great athletes. august 23 2011 Kobe will be 34 years old and that is going to count for something.I do not care how many situps he makes, how many workout session he does. he will be too old to remain #1. Kobe era will be ended soon. It’s up to the young upcoming superstars to be ready to take over the NBA. So Kobe enjoy while it last.

18. deanc - Aug 20, 2010 at 7:48 PM

yeah right polo ,how many years of schooling does it take to figure that out?So basically ,what you are saying is you guarantee it that Kobe is going to get older, boy ,you really went out on a limb on that prediction,also what you’re really saying is that till Kobe becomes an old man ,he’s gonna kick everyones tail who even dreams they can beat him until he becomes that old man, yeah ,i’ll agree with that,against him and the Lakers they’re all LOSERS!!!!!

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches