Aug 17, 2010, 6:17 PM EDT
It’s been a couple of years since the NBA passed its “one-and-done” rule to prevent players from coming straight into the NBA from high school, and so far things have worked out pretty well. Kevin Durant, John Wall, and Derrick Rose all got to raise their national profiles significantly before becoming top-two picks, which paid dividends for both the NCAA and the NBA. Under the current system, fans get a chance to get familiar with top prospects without having to wait too long for those prospects to test their abilities against the best players in the world.
“I much prefer the baseball model, for example, that allows a young person if they want to go play professional baseball, they can do it right out of high school, but once they start college they’ve got to play for three years or until they’re 21,” Emmert, who is leaving the University of Washington to take the helm of the NCAA, said in the interview. “I like that a good deal.“But what you have to also recognize is that rule isn’t an NCAA rule,” Emmert said during KJR’s interview. “That’s a rule of the NBA. And it’s not the NBA itself, but the NBA Players Association. So to change that rule will require me and others working with the NBA, working with the players association.”He added: “We’ll be having those conversations, because I think it would be good for young people and good for basketball.”
I don’t see Emmert’s proposed changes becoming a reality any time in the near future. By allowing players to go to the NBA straight out of high school, the NBA would lose its moral justifications for an age limit. And as Deadspin’s Berry Petchesky pointed out earlier today, a three-year restriction would just lead players towards junior college or international play rather than US colleges.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 75
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32