Magic Johnson ready to move on from Lakers, head up an ownership group

Aug 17, 2010, 1:54 PM EDT

Thumbnail image for magic-johnson.jpgMagic Johnson’s name has come up in Golden State when that team was for sale. It has come up in connection with Detroit and the sale of the Pistons.

And it is going to come up again, because Magic wants to run an NBA franchise, he told Scott Howard-Cooper of NBA.com. And he knows that means a split with the Lakers.

“I’ll still be a Laker forever,” Johnson said. “If there’s a chance for me to go run a team, if I felt that’s what I wanted to do, would I take it? Yeah, if the right situation came. I know one day that’s gonna probably happen. I love being with Dr. Buss and the Buss family and working with them, but I know one day something is going to happen. I can definitely see me not being with the Lakers, yeah.”

Even Jerry Buss thinks it could happen — and Buss thinks of Magic more like a son than a player.

“I think he would always have a temptation to run the show,” Jerry Buss said. “He’s a pretty aggressive guy. On the other hand, he loves the Lakers. It’s such a hard decision for him. I don’t know which way that’s going to go.”

Magic, frankly, would be a good guy to run a franchise. He has a proven business acumen. He knows the game. So few owners have an understanding of both sides of the equation, but Magic would.

Still, it is somewhat unsettling to think of him tied to any franchise but the Lakers. Where he was drafted as a player and is a partial owner now (Magic wants to run a franchise, and in LA that falls to the Buss family). How does Magic feel about that?

“Life takes many turns,” he said.

1. Lion Woods - Aug 17, 2010 at 2:38 PM

The best player basketball has ever seen. Magic Johnson would be a good fit owning the Pistons. He grew up in Michigan and I’m pretty sure was a fan of the Pistons in his youth. I too am a huge Lakers man but born in Detroit and after 25 years in LA have moved back to Detroit and would love for Magic to own the Pistons. ON the other hand I love knowing the Magic man is still working with the Lakers in some capacity. But if he were to own a team what better place to do it. Also, Magic Johnson’s golden touch has followed him whereever he goes… I like the Pistons but Love the Lakers… pretty sure Magic feels the same way. Tough decision no doubt. I remember a young Magic in high school allstar game at St. Cecelia’s gym. about 2 minutes left Magic grabs a rebound coast-to-coast around the Illinois allstar’s with Isiah and company slip dribble dip and dunk! the stands and fans erupt onto the court… game over. I knew then that this kid would be the greatest to ever play the game of basketball.

2. johnmaine - Aug 17, 2010 at 3:10 PM

J.R. Moehringer, author of the LeBron James GQ piece, was interviewed & has some FASCINATING things to say. http://bit.ly/dhV8Pi

3. MSM - Aug 17, 2010 at 4:02 PM

Magic will always be the greatest Laker no matter what. I just hope he has nothing to do with the Celtics or Pistons in any matter whatsoever. He can own any other team.

4. Raj - Aug 17, 2010 at 4:21 PM

He can always buy the Clippers. He helped turn around crummy part of Los Angeles. Now he can help turn around the crummy part of the Staples Center.

5. Raj B - Aug 17, 2010 at 4:25 PM

6. Iowa H-BR - Aug 17, 2010 at 4:54 PM

I like the Clippers idea for Magic.

7. Lois Brender - Aug 17, 2010 at 5:21 PM

This is the only spot I could find to make contact with you. I just finished watching “Good Morning Joe.” In my opinion making a change from having Mika on the show would be a positive move. She keeps interrupting, which Joe ignors;she also interrups the guests as they are talking. It doesn’t look like Mika and Joe have a smooth, easy working repore.
    I watched the Lakers when Magic Johnson was a player. He has done wonders for our City.. I would like to see him back on the court,but, I know, age comes. Whatever Magic decides for himself go for it. I got your back Mr. Johnson.

8. Jimsjam33 - Aug 17, 2010 at 5:31 PM

I wish Magic the best of luck in any endeavor he partakes of . He has been good for the Lakers and the City of Los Angeles .
    It’s the same as Pat Riley in Miami and Jerry West in Memphis . They will always be Lakers no matter what . L. A. loves them and we owe them a debt of gratitude for all they’ve done for this city .

9. sfvcyco - Aug 17, 2010 at 5:45 PM

How about he buy the Dodgers and get the McCourts the heck outta there? I am sure he would run the Dodgers a lot better than the McCourts ever have. Plus, the LA fans would love him even more, if that is even possible.

10. Magic_Fan - Aug 17, 2010 at 6:57 PM

He owned the Pistons in the ’80s, why not make it official now?

11. Richman - Aug 17, 2010 at 7:04 PM

How is it that this guy is even still alive? Didn’t he have aids?

12. Lakergurl - Aug 17, 2010 at 7:41 PM

Richman, I just knew that someone was going to make an ignorant comment about that. Congratulations to you!
    I love Magic and I love the Lakers. To me, Magic will always be a Laker. I would be devastated if he left the Lakers, but buying the Dodgers sounds like a great idea. If anyone could turn that organization around, Magic seems like the guy who could do it.

13. jaided - Aug 17, 2010 at 7:43 PM

I agree with you 100% mccunts are the worst owners of any team. Worst thing that could of happen to la was the mccunts buying the dodgers.

14. gseay - Aug 17, 2010 at 8:10 PM

To johnmaine:
    and this has to do with Magic Johnson,…how? Stay on subject…plus, regardless of what anyone thinks or hopes, Magic can do exactly as he pleases, as long as he pleases himself and family…nobody elses opinion really matters.

15. Rick - Aug 17, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Magic tested positive for the virus that they believe causes aids, He DID NOT have aids. Many people will test positive, but will continue to live healthy productive lives.

16. lakersdudefromthevalley - Aug 17, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Haha so true.

17. Happyjack59 - Aug 17, 2010 at 9:59 PM

He’s HIV positive which means he carries the virus that causes AIDS. He will only have AIDS if for some reason he stops taking his medication.

18. Lion Woods - Aug 18, 2010 at 10:10 AM

as crummy as the Clippers are… they aren’t for sale.

19. Omnius - Aug 18, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Magic would make a great team owner and I sure hope he can hang in there and wait for Dr. Jerry Buss to move along. It will be a sad day when Magic leaves the Lakers after doing so much for the franchise for so long. But if moving on is what it takes for Magic to become an NBA owner before he’s too old then I wish Magic the very best of luck! The Repeat World Champion Lakers will Threepeat next June!

20. HoopsHoops0801 - Aug 18, 2010 at 11:03 AM

THE ARTICLE IS ABOUT MAJIC JOHNSON…………….NOT LEBRON……….LET IT GO JERK

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches