Aug 17, 2010, 3:10 PM EST
There are plenty of Tracy McGrady doubters out there. Doubts about his health, his age, his game. Plenty of doubters in the media, plenty of them in NBA front offices (some of whom worked him out then had more doubts).
“People read too much into it (age). It’s not like God or somebody came down and took my talent away and I can’t play basketball no more. I was dealing with surgery. I had microfracture surgery. Everybody that had that surgery, it was going to take a year and a half, two years to recover from that. Dealing with that for two years, everybody thinks I can’t play basketball no more. We’ll just have to see come this season. I’ve bust my butt the last two seasons and the off-season for this exact moment. I’m excited about the opportunity and I can’t wait.”
The Pistons have some players, but were struck down by injury last year. They have some big contracts in the last year of deals — Tayshaun Prince, for one — and you can expect some moves. Ones aimed at the future and not today.
But McGrady is convinced today will not be that bad. He says he is bringing some skills that will make this team much better.
“One is my ability to make my teammates better. That’s first and foremost. That’s what I’m all about. We have a got a lot of guys on this team that can score the ball. With the guys that we have, I think my play-making ability can make the game a lot easier for them. Being a versatile player, it’s all about making these guys better and adding more depth from what we already have… I’m ready for it.”
McGrady got a one-year deal. We’ll see how many doubters there are next summer.
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 6
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 9
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19
- Kevin Durant on idea stars wouldn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘That’s bulls—‘ 43
- Former Warriors coach Mark Jackson meets with Kings GM, DeMarcus Cousins after Tuesday night’s game 25
- PBT’s Tuesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Grizzlies grind ends Warriors streak 12
- It’s official: Jabari Parker out for the season with torn ACL 22
- Grizzlies snap Warriors’ 16-game winning streak 4