Aug 17, 2010, 3:10 PM EDT
There are plenty of Tracy McGrady doubters out there. Doubts about his health, his age, his game. Plenty of doubters in the media, plenty of them in NBA front offices (some of whom worked him out then had more doubts).
“People read too much into it (age). It’s not like God or somebody came down and took my talent away and I can’t play basketball no more. I was dealing with surgery. I had microfracture surgery. Everybody that had that surgery, it was going to take a year and a half, two years to recover from that. Dealing with that for two years, everybody thinks I can’t play basketball no more. We’ll just have to see come this season. I’ve bust my butt the last two seasons and the off-season for this exact moment. I’m excited about the opportunity and I can’t wait.”
The Pistons have some players, but were struck down by injury last year. They have some big contracts in the last year of deals — Tayshaun Prince, for one — and you can expect some moves. Ones aimed at the future and not today.
But McGrady is convinced today will not be that bad. He says he is bringing some skills that will make this team much better.
“One is my ability to make my teammates better. That’s first and foremost. That’s what I’m all about. We have a got a lot of guys on this team that can score the ball. With the guys that we have, I think my play-making ability can make the game a lot easier for them. Being a versatile player, it’s all about making these guys better and adding more depth from what we already have… I’m ready for it.”
McGrady got a one-year deal. We’ll see how many doubters there are next summer.
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 9
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 35
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 7
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 6
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 12
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 36
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19