God did not come down and take Tracy McGrady's game away. According to McGrady.

Aug 17, 2010, 3:10 PM EDT

Thumbnail image for mcgrady_Knick.jpgThere are plenty of Tracy McGrady doubters out there. Doubts about his health, his age, his game. Plenty of doubters in the media, plenty of them in NBA front offices (some of whom worked him out then had more doubts).

But McGrady doesn’t doubt himself. And he told WDFN in Detroit that he will be proving people wrong this season.

“People read too much into it (age). It’s not like God or somebody came down and took my talent away and I can’t play basketball no more. I was dealing with surgery. I had microfracture surgery. Everybody that had that surgery, it was going to take a year and a half, two years to recover from that. Dealing with that for two years, everybody thinks I can’t play basketball no more. We’ll just have to see come this season. I’ve bust my butt the last two seasons and the off-season for this exact moment. I’m excited about the opportunity and I can’t wait.”

The Pistons have some players, but were struck down by injury last year. They have some big contracts in the last year of deals — Tayshaun Prince, for one — and you can expect some moves. Ones aimed at the future and not today.

But McGrady is convinced today will not be that bad. He says he is bringing some skills that will make this team much better.

“One is my ability to make my teammates better. That’s first and foremost. That’s what I’m all about. We have a got a lot of guys on this team that can score the ball. With the guys that we have, I think my play-making ability can make the game a lot easier for them. Being a versatile player, it’s all about making these guys better and adding more depth from what we already have… I’m ready for it.”

McGrady got a one-year deal. We’ll see how many doubters there are next summer.

1. Drew - Aug 17, 2010 at 8:33 PM

I hope McGrady is able to have a healthy and successful season. I know he’s been written off, but it would be great to see him have a good year. I’m expecting around 13-14 PPG, 3-4 APG, and about 4 RPG.

2. icemack - Aug 17, 2010 at 10:07 PM

It’s very unfortunate for T-Mac, a proven all-star/ superstar to be struck w/ injuries and actually be playing for his … I believe 4th NBA team?
    Good luck “Baby Boy” but remember DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT get the “BIG HEAD” like you have before, if you’re successful.
    PEACE

3. Brandan - Aug 18, 2010 at 12:33 AM

I wish him the best of lucks and hope he can have a healthy successful season. it used to be fun to warch him, and it could be interesting to see what a healthy Tracy McGrady can do.

4. Michael - Aug 18, 2010 at 12:53 AM

5th team.

5. Mars - Aug 18, 2010 at 3:26 AM

Tracy McGrady is my heart,but he had gone.Some thing is difficult to change ,like as his natural instincts.In my eye ,he will be come back never.

6. Omnius - Aug 18, 2010 at 10:05 AM

McGrady and talent are mutually exclusive, ofcourse god didn’t take his talent away because McGrady only has the talent to get injured. Sorry but McGrady has been grossly overrated by the pundits all along, Detroit is going to find out the hard way that they wasted a lot of money on this injury prone nobody. Now Father Time has taken away his physical talents so what’s left for this massive underacheiver except retirement?

7. BallerIQ - Aug 18, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Actually, they signed him for the veteran’s minimum, and for a player with Tmac’s pedigree, its a damn steal. I do hope he can get back to at least playing a productive 15-20 mins a game, even with the logjam at the wing. But his abilities will only go as far as body will allow, and as we’ve seen in his NBA tenure, he’s injury prone.

8. TyrekeDAfreak - Aug 19, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Omnius, detroit paid the veterans minimum to aquire tmac. How is that wasting alot of money??? They got himf or the cheapest they could possibly get a player for. So many ignorant fans out there. many peopel said NY knicks are dumb for trading for tmac, they traded for his contract, not the player himself. I laugh when people who do not understand basketball comment and blog liek they understand everything. Learn to understand what you are talking about before you act like you know it all. Dumbass.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches