Aug 17, 2010, 5:05 PM EDT
UPDATE 5:05 pm: Few teams carry three pure point guards on their roster. The Hawks will not be one of them.
The much trusted Michael Cunningham of the Atlanta Journal Constitution shoots down the idea of Hawks interest in Boykins.
For one, from everything I’ve heard the Hawks aren’t really
interested in adding another guard. Also, Boykins doesn’t really seem to
fit into L.D.’s “interchangeable parts” philosophy. And why would the Hawks add a veteran point guard when they are trying to bring along Teague?
But I figured maybe the Hawks wanted to bring Boykins to camp as some
kind of insurance, so I checked it out. I was told there’s nothing to
it, that it’s a “crazy rumor” and that the Hawks are still focused on
adding a big man. So it looks like Boykins won’t even get a camp invite
from the Hawks.
11:53 am: The Atlanta Hawks are considering adding a third point guard to the roster. But they are thinking small.
There are not a lot of minutes to be had, the Hawks will start Mike Bibby at the point, with Jeff Teague pushing him for the starting job from behind. But neither of those options seems to have the full confidence — Bibby is aging and Teague has yet to seize the job and make it his.
Boykins could be a solid backup option. He was in Washington last season and gave them a stable 16 minutes and 6.6 points per game. Whether the Hawks really want three point guards on their roster remains to be seen, but if they do go that route Boykins gives them solid minutes when they do need someone, and at a fair price.
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 27
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 52
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 31
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 47
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 26
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 22