Aug 16, 2010, 5:11 PM EST
According to BasketNet, Miami Heat second-round pick Jarvis Varnado will be playing in Italy next season.
Varnado was an excellent shot-blocker at Mississippi State, and averaged at least 4.6 blocks per game in each of his last three college seasons. The Heat could use that kind of defensive presence, but with Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Joel Anthony, Udonis Haslem, Dexter Pittman, Chris Bosh, and several more big men already under contract for the Heat, it appears that Varnado will be the odd man out this season.
The Heat will retain Varnado’s rights, so a Heat contract could be in Varnado’s future if he plays well in Italy.
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 10
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 8
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 25
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 NBA Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld