Aug 15, 2010, 8:17 AM EDT
The Nuggets reportedly made a couple of roster moves this weekend, one expected and one that is bad Karma, according to Chris Tommason at FanHouse.
The Nuggets have waived Coby Karl, the son of coach George Karl. Which was both expected and a little bit sad because the younger Karl has NBA game but his contract was about to go up to $854,389, the minimum for a player of his experience. It’s also sad because we wanted the first son to play for his father the coach in NBA history.
Waiving Brian Butch is something else entirely.
Butch is a 7’0″ center on a team that needs size, but that’s not why waiving him was a surprise. Butch injured himself playing for the Nuggets Summer League team in Vegas, it’s not customary to cut injured guys free.
The Nuggets should have to pay him in some form, and cover medical expenses, until he recovers in the first couple of months of next year. Otherwise, instant Karma is going to get them.
Both of these are all about money. Butch makes the minimum, but because the Nuggets are over the tax line waiving him saves $1.5 million (and $1.7 million is saved by waiving Karl).
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 2
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 52
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 28
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (93)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (80)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (71)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (64)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights