Aug 14, 2010, 10:36 AM EDT
Tracy McGrady went into this summer wanting a key role on a contending team. He ends it with a minimum contract with the Detroit Pistons.
That had to be frustrating. And when FanHouse reached him it sounded like it.
“My game this season will do all the talking I need to do now,” McGrady told FanHouse Friday when reached on his cell phone. “There’s no need for me to say anything else at this point.”
McGrady got a look this summer. He was worked out by a few teams including Chicago, the Los Angeles Clippers and the Cleveland Cavaliers. Plus he played the end of last season with the New York Knicks, averaging 9.4 points a game in 24 games, but shooting just 38.9 percent overall and 24 percent from three. Plus he had to miss games due to his knees still needing rest after microfracture surgery.
Reports out of those workouts were that his shot looked good but his movement was still a bit slow.
Because we all remember how great a player McGrady was — he is a former scoring champion — he would have gotten more consideration, but when interviewed in Chicago — for a stacked team that has high hopes in the East — he talked about competing for a starting job and playing a key role. He came off as unwilling to accept a lesser role. He saw that as competitive, but teams saw that as a potential disruption.. In the wake of the issues Allen Iverson caused last year, teams were hesitant. Teams like Miami did not want to bring in another big personality that could upset the bond the big three there are building.
McGrady got his chance, if not where he wanted. If things go well, the deal after this will not be for the veteran’s minimum and may well be with a contender. But he is going to have to prove himself all over again.
His game is going to have to do the talking.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 41
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 5
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5