Aug 14, 2010, 9:33 AM EDT
Mike Miller might not be the alpha dog in the Miami Heat locker room, but nobody’s going to be getting his face. Unless they want some ground and pound.
Changing up his workout routine this summer, long-time fan Miller has been working out with MMA fighters in Arizona, according to MMAWeekly.com.
“I love it, it’s one of my favorite sports for sure. I’ve always watched it and it’s something that like the wrestling world, the same thing that’s intriguing them, it’s intriguing me. It’s a high impact sport, a lot of action and it’s fun to watch,” said Miller in an interview with MMAWeekly.com.
“The program that these guys are going through is the most ridiculous program I’ve seen. They work out harder than anybody. The hardest workouts I’ve ever been through, that’s why I came down here though. I realized how hard these guys work, and I felt like I might as well join them. It’s been a good experience.”
Miller has been working out with UFC fighters Ryan Bader, Aaron Simpson, and C.B. Dollaway.
Miller is far from alone in this, MMA workouts are growing in popularity with professional athletes across numerous sports. It’s a chance to vary the routine, do something challenging and get your reps in. Oh, and hit something.
Miller’s contract forbids him from actually getting into an MMA fight, but he’s learned a few moves he can break out on Da’Sean Butler if he gets out of hand.
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 16
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 18
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4