Aug 14, 2010, 9:33 AM EDT
Mike Miller might not be the alpha dog in the Miami Heat locker room, but nobody’s going to be getting his face. Unless they want some ground and pound.
Changing up his workout routine this summer, long-time fan Miller has been working out with MMA fighters in Arizona, according to MMAWeekly.com.
“I love it, it’s one of my favorite sports for sure. I’ve always watched it and it’s something that like the wrestling world, the same thing that’s intriguing them, it’s intriguing me. It’s a high impact sport, a lot of action and it’s fun to watch,” said Miller in an interview with MMAWeekly.com.
“The program that these guys are going through is the most ridiculous program I’ve seen. They work out harder than anybody. The hardest workouts I’ve ever been through, that’s why I came down here though. I realized how hard these guys work, and I felt like I might as well join them. It’s been a good experience.”
Miller has been working out with UFC fighters Ryan Bader, Aaron Simpson, and C.B. Dollaway.
Miller is far from alone in this, MMA workouts are growing in popularity with professional athletes across numerous sports. It’s a chance to vary the routine, do something challenging and get your reps in. Oh, and hit something.
Miller’s contract forbids him from actually getting into an MMA fight, but he’s learned a few moves he can break out on Da’Sean Butler if he gets out of hand.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37