Aug 14, 2010, 8:15 AM EST
Kevin Durant is what you want to lead your team — an unselfish superstar. A guy who wants to play a true team game, a guy willing to pass the rock.
Too willing, Mike Krzyzewski told the Associated Press. He wants Durant to shoot the rock.
“They look to him all the time,” Krzyzewski said after Friday’s practice at the New York Knicks’ training facility. “They’re OK with Kevin shooting. If he misses, they want him to shoot again. They know. They’ve seen it.”
Chauncey Billups is saying the same thing.
“He’s our guy,” elder statesman Chauncey Billups said. “He’s the go-to guy. He’s the guy who for us is going to be the scorer and do all the things that Kobe, LeBron did on the Olympic team.”
Durant realizes that this isn’t Oklahoma City where he is expected to take the shots, everybody on Team USA can knock it down, so he thinks he has to share the wealth. He seemed put off by Krzyzewski’s comments.
“I don’t want to be a guy that comes out here and tries to take all the shots,” Durant added. “We have a lot of scorers here, so I just want to be a complement on the floor.”
Every team needs a leader, however, a go to scorer. In the last Olympics, when Team USA needed a late push against Spain, Kobe Bryant stepped up because that is what he does. He may picks his spots, but he will step up. Durant needs to do that. There are times to pull back, there will be games when Derrick Rose or Stephen Curry has the hot hand and should be fed.
But this is Durant’s team. He has to take it and own it. And shoot the damn rock.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 0
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 4
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 18
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8