Aug 14, 2010, 8:15 AM EDT
Kevin Durant is what you want to lead your team — an unselfish superstar. A guy who wants to play a true team game, a guy willing to pass the rock.
Too willing, Mike Krzyzewski told the Associated Press. He wants Durant to shoot the rock.
“They look to him all the time,” Krzyzewski said after Friday’s practice at the New York Knicks’ training facility. “They’re OK with Kevin shooting. If he misses, they want him to shoot again. They know. They’ve seen it.”
Chauncey Billups is saying the same thing.
“He’s our guy,” elder statesman Chauncey Billups said. “He’s the go-to guy. He’s the guy who for us is going to be the scorer and do all the things that Kobe, LeBron did on the Olympic team.”
Durant realizes that this isn’t Oklahoma City where he is expected to take the shots, everybody on Team USA can knock it down, so he thinks he has to share the wealth. He seemed put off by Krzyzewski’s comments.
“I don’t want to be a guy that comes out here and tries to take all the shots,” Durant added. “We have a lot of scorers here, so I just want to be a complement on the floor.”
Every team needs a leader, however, a go to scorer. In the last Olympics, when Team USA needed a late push against Spain, Kobe Bryant stepped up because that is what he does. He may picks his spots, but he will step up. Durant needs to do that. There are times to pull back, there will be games when Derrick Rose or Stephen Curry has the hot hand and should be fed.
But this is Durant’s team. He has to take it and own it. And shoot the damn rock.
- Brothers allege entourage of Damian Lillard beat them for taking his picture 6
- Amar’e Stoudemire still thinks Knicks’ front court trio can work 15
- Report: Dwight Howard not going to Clippers… did we need a report for that? 15
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” 41
- Spurs shut down Zach Randolph in Western Conference Finals’ first major strategic move 2
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (105)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (86)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Blackhawks-Red Wings Game 3
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Dickey goes 8, beats Rays for 2nd straight win
- PST: Mourinho officially leaving Real Madrid
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay