Aug 14, 2010, 8:15 AM EST
Kevin Durant is what you want to lead your team — an unselfish superstar. A guy who wants to play a true team game, a guy willing to pass the rock.
Too willing, Mike Krzyzewski told the Associated Press. He wants Durant to shoot the rock.
“They look to him all the time,” Krzyzewski said after Friday’s practice at the New York Knicks’ training facility. “They’re OK with Kevin shooting. If he misses, they want him to shoot again. They know. They’ve seen it.”
Chauncey Billups is saying the same thing.
“He’s our guy,” elder statesman Chauncey Billups said. “He’s the go-to guy. He’s the guy who for us is going to be the scorer and do all the things that Kobe, LeBron did on the Olympic team.”
Durant realizes that this isn’t Oklahoma City where he is expected to take the shots, everybody on Team USA can knock it down, so he thinks he has to share the wealth. He seemed put off by Krzyzewski’s comments.
“I don’t want to be a guy that comes out here and tries to take all the shots,” Durant added. “We have a lot of scorers here, so I just want to be a complement on the floor.”
Every team needs a leader, however, a go to scorer. In the last Olympics, when Team USA needed a late push against Spain, Kobe Bryant stepped up because that is what he does. He may picks his spots, but he will step up. Durant needs to do that. There are times to pull back, there will be games when Derrick Rose or Stephen Curry has the hot hand and should be fed.
But this is Durant’s team. He has to take it and own it. And shoot the damn rock.
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 2
- James Harden, three Hawks players lead list of NBA All-Star Game reserves 9
- Report: OKC front office backs Scott Brooks, may look to trade Reggie Jackson 8
- Dwyane Wade out indefinitely, says best case for his return is 2-3 weeks 9
- Report: Tom Thibodeau’s relationship with Bulls management believed to be ‘beyond repair’ 42
- Dwight Howard out at least two games with swelling in his knee 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 14
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 54