Barkley isn't done taking shots at LeBron, says he has to win multiple titles

Aug 13, 2010, 3:59 PM EST

Thumbnail image for cbarkley.jpgYesterday Charles Barkley called LeBron James a punk for daring to do what Barkley never did and team up with other superstars to get a ring. Because I guess never reaching your goal but falling short by yourself is noble. Whatever.

Barkley’s not done, though.

LeBron has to win multiple titles or this is a failure, Barkley told Chris Tomasson of FanHouse.

“He’s got to win multiple championships to make that situation work, at least two,” the Hall of Famer and TNT analyst said in an interview with FanHouse on Thursday night at the Basketball Hall of Fame about James, who bolted Cleveland last month as a free agent to force a sign-and-trade to the Heat. “(If not), his legacy is going to take a serious hit.”

He also has to cure cancer and reverse the trade deficit between the United States and China, or it’s a failure.

Does Barkley feel at all bad about using the word “punk?”

“I should have never used that word,” said Barkley, sounding at first as if was an apology. “It was bull (bleep). Bull (bleep) is a better word.”

I really want a Barkley/LeBron sit down interview now. Make it happen, TNT.

1. Nadeem - Aug 13, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Somebody is trying hard to defend Lebron!

2. BJs from Hookers - Aug 13, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Barks join Clyde and Olajuwon in Houston to try to get that ring? How’d that work out? Sour Grapes, anyone? Maybe Sir Chuck is mad he didn’t join the Rockets a few years earlier…

3. JP - Aug 13, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Barkley was in his 30’s. Not in the prime of his career! The writers on this site sure do defend Lebron alot!

4. anon - Aug 13, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Barkley was right, if you have 2 of the top 3 players and another top 15 player on the same team, if you don’t win, it’s a disappointment. The thing about curing cancer and reversing the trade deficit are way overboard.

5. jc1670 - Aug 13, 2010 at 4:48 PM

What Barkley meant to says – LeBron has to win multiple titles (like 4) this season. LOL.
    His quote in Dan Le Batard’s column was excellent: “You hope for fair and honest, but what I’ve figured out is that a lot of media members aren’t fair and honest,” says Hall of Famer Charles Barkley. “There are hidden agendas — against guys you don’t like or for guys you do. It’s selective prosecution.”
    Problem from here is that Barkley is now doing what he accuses the media of doing – selective prosecution – against LeBron. Barkley knows that he earns his $$ by saying quotable things.

6. Anonymous - Aug 13, 2010 at 5:00 PM

No, what is bull (bleep) is how overboard the writers on this site go to defend LeBron. Maybe if you weren’t so opinionated for once and actually wrote what Barkley said instead of defending LeBron to the death the articles might be better.

7. BallerIQ - Aug 13, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Chuck man, you’re one of my favorite people on TV, but this is going a bit too far, c’mon man! I get it, you wished he stayed in Cleveland, but its over, just make your peace with it!
    And Chuck did join the Rockets nearing the twilight of his career, his game was on the decline, he could barely run the break as he did in his heyday. Depending on your point of view, its no different to what Lebron did, but I guess for Charles, the decision to join other superstars would only be acceptable to him if you were nearing the end of your career.

8. Dr. 3000 - Aug 13, 2010 at 5:09 PM

this crap is getting old.

9. D Wade's dick - Aug 13, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Lebron is good real good!!! No lie about that… It’s funny what LBJ wrote on his twitter… I’m not afraid of his Killer side.. We seen it the last 7 years.. it’s nothing to brag about. LBJ is all bark no bite

10. LBC Phil - Aug 13, 2010 at 5:28 PM

I second that request. I want to see Chuck interview Lebron too. Make that happen TNT, it would definetly be better television than the “Decision”.

11. Jared - Aug 13, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Just curious. Why isn’t anyone upset with D-Wade for bringing James in? I mean, when Jordan and Magic said they wouldn’t be joining each other back in their day, did that mean though that they would let the other guy come join their team?
    I just hear LeBron this and LeBron that, but the things that he’s getting bashed for are the same things that D-Wade should be getting bashed for. I personally don’t blame James or D-Wade for wanting to be on each others teams, i just wanted to point out how they are percieved differently.

12. tbs - Aug 13, 2010 at 6:08 PM

First, Barkley didn’t call Lebron a punk. He said his ESPN special was a punk move. And he said the Miami championship celebration announcing the signing of Bosh & James was a punk move. King James wants to be coronated before he wins anything and he wants to be Chosen One talcum powder celebrations of his greatness. His sideline dance moves with his yukking-it-up teammates was a punk move too, especially since he couldn’t back it up.
    But just because he pulls one punk move after another, doesn’t mean Charles CALLED him a punk. Although, come to think of it… I guess Lebron can make a “mental note”

13. Brandan - Aug 13, 2010 at 6:14 PM

For the first time I am not with Sir Charles, and honestly I don’t like LeBron, cause he is arrogant and ignorant, but facts are facts. Charles joined Olajuwon and Drexler to stack the deck and get a ring. After Drexler retired they recluted Pippen. So honestly, I like you Charles but that was hypocrite.

14. Rich - Aug 13, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Barkley joined Olajuwon and Drexler after all of their primes had passed already, just like how Garnett joined Allen and Pierce in Boston. None of those players ever teamed up when they were in their primes when they wanted to win a title on their own terms. So no, Chuck isn’t being hypocritical. You just don’t know NBA history that well.

15. Brandan - Aug 13, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Yes after they are no longer in their prime like is more glorious doing it by being carried instead of actually contributing to the cause. My NBA history knowledge is past what you think, but this is not about history, is about what is right or wrong. Charles criticize them for joining together, but what you are not seeing is that they been planning this for a long time. If they are friends, and want to play together, then who is the league, the GMs or anybody else to tell them they can’t do it. You just need to learn the term of “free agent”. Or is the NBA now going to force players to play for their home state? And Charles need to understand (as well as a lot of old players) that times change and the NBA is not like their times.I don’t like the fact balance was disrubted, but I hate that people don’t leave them alone for doing something they had the right to do, specially when who speaks is someone who did the same either in his prime or not, he did it and that’s a fact. And now that he realizes he did it too late,I bet he would go back and do it before.

16. Big L - Aug 13, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Hate 2 Disagree with u dude, but K.G himself even said after the That Playoff Series that if he cud do it all again he would have left Minny Earlier and said he would advise LBJ to not let his hometown feelings get in the way of his decision, and as far barkley.. i luv how dude speaks his mind but he is kinda gettn old with this subject and u cant compare this era to Jordans because Free Agency then was NOWHERE near the Way it is now.. and Chuck left his team after i believe 7/8 years LBJ left cleveland in 7… Onli difference? Lebron didnt play in college thats all so his argument kinda dies there, and nomatter wat he says if Jordan calls him and says come play with me Chuck knows his ass is RUNNING to Chi-town. So Charles…I got nuthn but respect for u, and yes this was funny like 2 days ago.. But now u jus seem like a grumpy old man and u ( a dude with no rings ) telling anybody they need to win atleast 2 rings to have a good legacy is laughable.

17. Brandan - Aug 13, 2010 at 7:44 PM

I agree with you. I mean, I love Charles, he’s the man. But is weird that he is so hard when it comes to this matter. I don’t dare to say MJ or Magic are wrong, cause they managed to do it themselves, but Charles knows how frustrating is to retire without a ring, or you can ask Mitch Richmond how he won his ring, and ask him if he would love to join MJ and Pippen or Olajuwon, Cassell and Horry earlier in his career to help them get more rings knowing he is making a big contribution. Is better to win a ring knowing you are an important part than winning it because someone got it for you let alone not winning it at all. Big 3’s are not as new as people think, What about Magic, Abdul-Jabbar and Worthy? The only difference is that Magic came by draft and not by free agency, still it was Jabbar’s team and Magic had to do less to help the team.

18. D-Mack - Aug 13, 2010 at 9:08 PM

I don’t understand a few things I’ve been reading. How is this site going overboard to defend Lebron? There’s been an article bashing Lebron everyday it seems.
    How is Lebron arrogant and ignorant? Because he did a show to announce where he would play? I guess no one had built this decision up for 2 years and made it to be this pivotal moment in NBA history. If anything, the special was an appropriate end to the free agency.
    And whining about how didn’t have any teammates? Get real. Lebron never bashed any of his teammates, always stood up for them, where always willing to share the glory? You’ll must be thinking of Kobe who came out and publicly bashed his teammates saying he needed help, quit on his team in the playoffs and demanded a trade if they get better players.
    You’ll hating on Lebron cause you want to be Lebron. He has the talent, fame and success you’ll will never see.
    Why is Chuck mad that Lebron did what the GM is supposed to do, surround him with great players. This why no one has offered you a GM job Chuck because this is a business and you refuse to look at it as such. Its amazing how everyone wants to control Lebron.

19. Cordae - Aug 14, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Ummmmm as far as this site defending LeBron, when did you guys start reading here? Yesterday? this site bashes LeBron on a daily. Kurt doesn’t even support LeBron on his decision and what he’s done all summer, he’s simply pointing out that Chuck shouldnt have stooped to YOU BASTARDS level and started name calling. Especially publically. He’s a grown ass man, did he really have to say that?
    And f**k all that prime talk HE DID IT! He just got the same idea LeBron did a tad too late. If MJ and scottie called his ass up back in ’92 he would’ve flew out of phoenix or Houston or wherever he was. Correct me if I’m wrong but its working for Boston, past their prime or not their still reguarded as one of the TOP teams in the league. Going to two championships in three years past your prime is STILL a good move. You damn emotional retards!…This site is starting to sicken me by the day with all the cry-babies about this move. You all claim no one knows if they’re going to win anything because they havent played one game yet….WELL WHY ARE YOU IN YOUR FEELINGS ABOUT IT!!!!!

20. Brandan - Aug 15, 2010 at 5:42 PM

@Cordae ; I think is because so many people don’ understand the term “free agent”. They offer their services,but is their decision to stay on a team or not when the contract expires, but I guess no one told that to Cleveland fans. You can’t let emotions take over your career decisions, if you let that happen right now a lot of players wouldn’t won the titles they have right now (Kevin Garnett, Ron Artest, Lamar Odom, Ray Allen and many more). And man, finally some people start seeing my point, a Big Three is a Big Three regardless of you being in your prime or not, cause the point is to share the load, bottom line, Charles did it, he formed part of a Big Three. I think what he hates about LeBron is that LBJ still have a lot of time to win a championship while he couldn’t.
    @D-Mack ; He proclaims himself as “King”, “Chosen One”, “Gifted Child”, “Withness” and add the fact he chose #23 knowing what he was doing and knowing that it was going to cause comparations. That is pretty arrogant. “Taking mental notes” that’s pretty ignorant. I know his talent, and right now for me he is the best basketball player alive, but he needs to be more humble. I don’t like LBJ’s attitude, but I hate listening at crybabies whining about his decision when he was free to chose. Therefore I defend his decision, I would have done the same.
    Bottom line I think is the management to blame about LBJ and Bosh leaving their teams. It was them who failed to find players to complement their abilities. Bosh wanted spotlight, but his GM is a failure when it comes to that, it seems that players get a lot more famous when they leave Toronto, they keep saying Bosh was the problem cause they tried to people around him to help him and still there was no progress, apparently they forget Hedo Turkoglu had his worst season in a long time last year. LBJ was in need of a sidekick to complement his abilities, Mo Williams, Shaq and the last attempt Antawn Jamison proved not to be those guys. Everyone blames LBJ, but someone is not seeing they are poor playoffs performers. Now they say LBJ quit on them cause he “didn’t deliver” on the playoffs, but the image of a man crying after being eliminated says opposite. LBJ’s performance in post season tends to decrease, yes, but is just a little. And after he bring his team to the playoffs the questions appears on the table; Who is gonna help him?

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches