Aug 12, 2010, 4:38 PM EDT
James Posey is not an afterthought. This is a quality role player, a guy who was a key part of the Celtics winning the NBA title in 2008.
But in breaking down the four-team trade yesterday, the talk was about Indianapolis getting Darren Collison, the speedy point guard they desperately needed for their system. James Posey was a contract, not a guy who averaged has won a couple of rings and is a solid veteran presence.
That contract combined with the fact the Pacers now have six guys to play the wing led to discussion that the Pacers might buy out Posey’s deal. But that’s not what he wants, his agent told Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated.
Posey is overpaid for what the Pacers will get, but the deal is not a franchise killer — two years and $13 million. He can give them solid backup minutes at the wing, he will knock down some threes and Indiana needs that with Murphy now gone. And if they want to move him, he is the kind of veteran some contending team may covet around the trade deadline.
The Pacers are not done making moves, they have 15 guys under contract but they want to sign their second round pick Magnum Rolle. They tried to buy out T.J. Ford, but that did not go so well. Still, something has to give. But that may not be Posey.
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 65
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 56
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6