Aug 12, 2010, 4:38 PM EST
James Posey is not an afterthought. This is a quality role player, a guy who was a key part of the Celtics winning the NBA title in 2008.
But in breaking down the four-team trade yesterday, the talk was about Indianapolis getting Darren Collison, the speedy point guard they desperately needed for their system. James Posey was a contract, not a guy who averaged has won a couple of rings and is a solid veteran presence.
That contract combined with the fact the Pacers now have six guys to play the wing led to discussion that the Pacers might buy out Posey’s deal. But that’s not what he wants, his agent told Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated.
Posey is overpaid for what the Pacers will get, but the deal is not a franchise killer — two years and $13 million. He can give them solid backup minutes at the wing, he will knock down some threes and Indiana needs that with Murphy now gone. And if they want to move him, he is the kind of veteran some contending team may covet around the trade deadline.
The Pacers are not done making moves, they have 15 guys under contract but they want to sign their second round pick Magnum Rolle. They tried to buy out T.J. Ford, but that did not go so well. Still, something has to give. But that may not be Posey.
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Cavaliers shouldn’t hit panic button, may want to locate it 0
- Carmelo Anthony sits out second half vs. Portland with sore knee 2
- LeBron, after Cavaliers lose by 23 at home to Pistons: ‘Right now we are not very good. In every aspect of the game’ 29
- Paul Pierce ‘shocked’ by Celtics trade of Rajon Rondo to Mavericks 16
- Kobe Bryant will return to Lakers lineup Sunday vs. Suns 15
- Kevin Love benched entire fourth quarter of Cavaliers win over Magic 30
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 22
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 12