Aug 12, 2010, 4:38 PM EDT
James Posey is not an afterthought. This is a quality role player, a guy who was a key part of the Celtics winning the NBA title in 2008.
But in breaking down the four-team trade yesterday, the talk was about Indianapolis getting Darren Collison, the speedy point guard they desperately needed for their system. James Posey was a contract, not a guy who averaged has won a couple of rings and is a solid veteran presence.
That contract combined with the fact the Pacers now have six guys to play the wing led to discussion that the Pacers might buy out Posey’s deal. But that’s not what he wants, his agent told Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated.
Posey is overpaid for what the Pacers will get, but the deal is not a franchise killer — two years and $13 million. He can give them solid backup minutes at the wing, he will knock down some threes and Indiana needs that with Murphy now gone. And if they want to move him, he is the kind of veteran some contending team may covet around the trade deadline.
The Pacers are not done making moves, they have 15 guys under contract but they want to sign their second round pick Magnum Rolle. They tried to buy out T.J. Ford, but that did not go so well. Still, something has to give. But that may not be Posey.
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 11
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 17
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 51
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 4
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 17
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 32
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22