Aug 12, 2010, 4:38 PM EDT
James Posey is not an afterthought. This is a quality role player, a guy who was a key part of the Celtics winning the NBA title in 2008.
But in breaking down the four-team trade yesterday, the talk was about Indianapolis getting Darren Collison, the speedy point guard they desperately needed for their system. James Posey was a contract, not a guy who averaged has won a couple of rings and is a solid veteran presence.
That contract combined with the fact the Pacers now have six guys to play the wing led to discussion that the Pacers might buy out Posey’s deal. But that’s not what he wants, his agent told Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated.
Posey is overpaid for what the Pacers will get, but the deal is not a franchise killer — two years and $13 million. He can give them solid backup minutes at the wing, he will knock down some threes and Indiana needs that with Murphy now gone. And if they want to move him, he is the kind of veteran some contending team may covet around the trade deadline.
The Pacers are not done making moves, they have 15 guys under contract but they want to sign their second round pick Magnum Rolle. They tried to buy out T.J. Ford, but that did not go so well. Still, something has to give. But that may not be Posey.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 9
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 20
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13