Aug 12, 2010, 10:03 AM EST
It’s pretty easy to picture your local Barnes & Nobel changing up the little display in front currently covered with love him/hate him Barack Obama books and putting up love them/hate them Miami Heat books.
The first of what should be many will be coming from the pen, er, computer of ESPN’s Ric Bucher. According to the Sports Grid, Bucher has secured a deal with Houghton Mifflin Harcourt to write a “behind the scenes” view of the Heat, tentatively titled “Overheard.” No release date has been set.
The book will be about LeBron James and Chris Bosh joining Dwyane Wade in South Beach, “resulting upheaval across the entire league, from Nike headquarters to the Knicks’ war room, from South Beach to Cleveland, LA to the Boston parquet — in short, the struggle for the future of professional basketball.”
Here is Bucher’s official statement:
“Houghton Mifflin recognizes what an apocalyptic event the three superstars joining forces in Miami is for the NBA in particular and sports in general. This book isn’t just about how they pulled it off, but all the forces unleashed as a result, forces that promise to change how the league looks and operates forever. I’m thrilled that Susan Canavan and her publishing house have afforded me the forum to capture, in depth, the behind-the-scenes events that will forge that transformation.”
Apocalyptic? Well, that’s overstating it. But we should expect it. And worse. Of course, if they want to sell some books outside of Dade County Bucher will heed to take some shots and a negative tone about the Heat, so you can bet he will.
Suddenly, reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies doesn’t sound like such a bad idea.
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 0
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 5
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 23
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 24
- LeBron James likely to start at center for Eastern Conference All-Stars 10
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)