Charles Barkley is on LeBron's list now, calls the decision a "punk move"

Aug 12, 2010, 5:01 PM EDT

cbarkley.jpgIt’s August, but Charles Barkley is in mid-season form.

He went on ESPN Radio in Dallas Thursday (via FanHouse) and aligned himself with the many people who now see the Miami Heat as the league’s villains. And he’s having none of LeBron’s “taking mental notes of everyone taking shots at me” either.

“I heard about LeBron’s little tweet today that he’s remembering everybody who said anything bad about him. And he said ‘everybody. Well, I want him to make sure that he puts my name on that (list).

“I thought that his little one-hour special was a punk move. I thought them dancing around on the stage was a punk move, and I thought he should’ve stayed in Cleveland. Him joining Dwyane Wade’s team was very disappointing to me.”

Barkley speaks with the new basketball populist voice — there are a lot of people inside and outside the league now rooting against the Heat. There will be plenty more negativity like this for James to take note of.

And yet when the Heat are on the television ratings will go up, when they are in your town tickets will sell out. And they will win. A lot. And if they can get a ring in the next few years, anything Barkley says will go in one of LeBron’s ears and right out the other.

144 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. Alan - Aug 13, 2010 at 11:53 AM

You make a couple of interesting points, however, what about Shaq going to join Kobe? Shaq was in the prime of his career, Oralando was consistenly making the playoffs, and Shaq bailed to team with Kobe. I don’t remember hearing any outrage about that move. Lebron has made a similar move, in his prime, and I don’t see a problem with it.
    As for Barkley, he can feel any way he wants, but the fact that he hung around with a losing team doesn’t mean Lebron has to do the same. It’s just sour grapes for the Bark Man.

2. Xavier - Aug 13, 2010 at 11:56 AM

STOP HATIN ON LEBRON!!………He fulfilled his contract..quit crying…”Barkley did not recruit and team up with another superstar while playing in Philadelphia or Phoenix. He also does not have a championship ring.”..LOL

3. come to think of it.... - Aug 13, 2010 at 12:06 PM

It is funny how many of the Lebron lovers in here point out that Charles has no rings as a way to justify that he can not have an opinion… I believe he has as many rings as Lebron does??? Am I correct?

4. HoopsHoops0801 - Aug 13, 2010 at 12:13 PM

REALLY!!!!?????
    Charles Barkley calling his move “punk”……
    The same Charles Barkley that was sued by a Vegas Casino because he owed them over $75,000.00!!!!!
    The same Charles Barkley that got stopped by a cop WITH HIS PANTS DOWN…..doing the dirty!!!!!!!!!
    I could go on and on…….
    So….Sir Charles – if this is not the pot calling the Kettle black..then I dont know what is……
    Just commentate…we love you when you speak the truth on plays…but when it comes to common sense and good judgement……you are not one to talk!!!!

5. Manface - Aug 13, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Hey Barkley, spitting on people and getting arrested for DUI at age 45 are not punk moves. You are punk and you never won a damned thing when you played.

6. The Truth - Aug 13, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Charles Barkley = Dirty Nig

7. LiLi - Aug 13, 2010 at 12:52 PM

The more I knew about LeBron the less I liked him.
    His charity biking thing in Akron? I bet he had to be pressured to do that. Will he ever do that in FL? Probably not. It seems like he just wants to be a punk, like Barkley says. And I guess Barkley should know!
    Anyway, He’s going to remember everyone that said anything bad about him-is that a threat or just a kid talking smack? So what’s he going to do? Shoot everyone? Hire hitmen to shoot everyone? Oh buh-ru-thur!
    James is nothing but a tall guy that can toss a ball through a hoop, people glom onto him cuz he’s got lots of money now, but that is not going to last forever. He could get a really critical injury any day and his career would be over. He’d be all alone in a hurry. Bet even that little tartlette that he promised NOT to marry wouldn’t stay around too long when the money dries up.

8. Troy - Aug 13, 2010 at 12:56 PM

When Barkley went to Houston, he was just about done as a player. Having said that, for two years in a row Cleavland had the best record in the league. So you can’t compare them to the Timberwolves.

9. jeff - Aug 13, 2010 at 1:10 PM

I agree with david on this one. I think charles, jordan and magic are acting like jealous kids. Michael jordan was all about winning championships, that why he took less money to stay in chicago, he new he had one of the best players in the nba (scottie pippen) playing alongside him. Magic had kareem and worthy. Lebron didn’t have that in cleveland, not even close. Gilbert had 7 years to get lebron another great player but failed. Good job by lebron going to miami, it shows he’s unselfish and cares only about championships.

10. jeff - Aug 13, 2010 at 1:11 PM

11. John - Aug 13, 2010 at 1:17 PM

thats because it wasn’t a bad cavs team, that’s why people were mad…

12. HoopsHoops0801 - Aug 13, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Shut up! Do you even know what youy are saying? No you dont. He was not forced to do the bike charity – he has been doing ot for 5 years in Akron…..and why would he do it in FL? He is from Akron…Just like D-Wade does the majority of his charity work in Chicago – because that is where he is from.
    Someone should hire a hitman to seek you out……..speak what you know – not what you dont!
    And I am not even a Lebron fan…sounds as if all the haters are JUMPING ON THE BANDWAGON just as they are accusing Heat fans of!

13. Robj - Aug 13, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Ok, that was funny. lol

14. ctmjjw - Aug 13, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Well said Charles, I hope the Heat
    burn out.

15. WOOT - Aug 13, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Rocky I would move to miami if I could but I don’t have the cash. And if I could move Bosh out of the way I would be sucking on lebrons dick right now too.
    Lebron is my man no matter what that bitch who had his kids say.
    Now sit down before lebron put you on his list and come over with some friends to beat you up
    He don’t like to do things himself cause he can’t.

16. Lord Caliph - Aug 13, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Damn Chuck u act like LBJ was your gay lover in Cleveland or something. You played for 3 teams yourself chasing a ring. Why is LBJ any different? Only he was smart enough to leave when he still had game. When you showed up in Houston you was a chunky has been. Get off LBJ jock. Dump the hater-aide and get back to work breaking down play on the court. This shyt your pulling is Beeatch like!
    Get over it!

17. Brandan - Aug 13, 2010 at 6:32 PM

I like Charles being honest, and I don’t like most of LeBron’s attitudes. But I really understand him, LeBron wants to team up with partners so he can contribute to the team and have repeated chances to win a championship. Look at Garnet now, he was trying for like 1000 years in Minnesotta, finally he join Pierce and Allen in Boston but then they only had the chance to get one ring cause they are far past their prime. LeBron want this partnership to be effective not only immediately but one that lasts, Or is it more glorious to win a championship just because someone else got it for you cause you are old and decaying? James want it now and knowing he is an important part of it.
    I would love him to stay in Cleveland, but Who are we to judge him for looking for help? Is easy to say he should get it on his own, but he is the one leaving the playoffs with the frustration and thinking about next year. If Jordan, Magic and Bird want to criticize him it’s ok, but Barkley is the wrong person. He teamed up with Olajuwon and Drexler trying to get a championship, and when Drexler retired they recluted Pippen. That makes this critics over LBJ sound so hypocrite.

18. Kansas - Aug 13, 2010 at 6:56 PM

I quit paying any attention to anything Barkley says or does about the time he was in the Olympics and elbowed an opponent in the face while running down the court with a 30 point lead.

19. chris - Aug 13, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Who is Charles B, to call anyone a punk, because he weighs 400lbs. he thinks, someone should afraid of him, cause he threw a man threw a window. LeBron, has the right to play where ever he chooses, he was a free agent. What the h___ has overweight Charles ever won, who said anything about him running and chasing a ring. All these so called superstars, let the man do his thing, you’ve had your time.

20. Anonymous - Aug 13, 2010 at 9:38 PM

They had the best record in the league…how is that a bad Cavs team? The reason they fell apart was LBJ choking it up in the playoffs. KG has never been the best player in the league. James is supposed to be. He shouldn’t have to run away to try to get a ring. But he did. And Miami is Wade’s city and his team.

21. DB - Aug 14, 2010 at 9:24 AM

I agree with you that the Cav’s were a good team. If LeBonehead
    wanted to win a Championship so bad, why didn’t he recruit guys to help?

22. TP - Aug 14, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Lebron lacks the competitive spirit of Jordan, Bird, Magic, or even Malone. I don’t think Lebron can handle being the “go to” guy. He has to have someone else carry that load. In the end he will be known as one of the most talented players whose champioships didn’t match the level of talent. He may win one but I don’t see him winning 4, 5 or 6 or even 2 or 3. He doesn’t have it in him. I can’t wait to see Miami lose a game because Lebron waits too long and passes the ball to Wade “you take the last shot”. “No, you take the last shot”
    I hated Jordan when he was playing but you had to respect him. He wanted the ball at the end of the game. I think Cleveland expected that of Lebron, He just couldn’t live up to it. To him basketball is a big love fest, He wants to be liked by all the other players.
    League MVP doesn’t mean a thing if you can’t be counted on in the playoffs and finals

23. g-thang.... - Aug 14, 2010 at 12:14 PM

I believe the players that move teams at the end of their careers to win a championship is noble. Garnett and Malone stayed for years and fought it out and had great careers. They competed against the best, wanted to beat the best. Lebron punked his way to Miami and did in a very class-less way. He still has too earn it and lets see if there is enough basketball to go around in South Beach!!!!

24. Cutta - Aug 14, 2010 at 5:21 PM

I feel Lebron did make a sucker move, because as a MVP you shouldn’t have to leave your team. Wade and what ever his name is should of been talked into coming to Cleveland or whoever else for that matter. It’s plain to see that Lebron is a better player than both them guys but I aint gonna hate….. Good luck Lebron

25. Adam - Aug 16, 2010 at 7:24 AM

I agree on what Charles Barkely has said about LeBron James. I agree 100% percent. Lebron has become the villain in the NBA all by himself with what he has done from annoucing what team he will be with on cable sports news to not talking to anyone during the USA Basketball on friday. The one thing i wanted to know is this, when did Lebron James start taking mental notes? Its been 7 years and now his been taken mental notes.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches