Aug 11, 2010, 9:57 AM EDT
Danny Ferry is no Pat Riley.
Ferry spent years in Cleveland trying to build a team around LeBron James that would make the superstar happy. He built some very good teams — teams with the best record in the NBA the last two years — but not ones that could win it all. So Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert sent Ferry walking (and that really helped keep LeBron).
Ferry started his front office career with the Spurs, learning their ways. Which means an owner that stays out of the basketball side, sticking with your coach and finding the right role players — not just stars — to put around your star. So, basically, the opposite of what Gilbert wanted.
Ferry interviewed in Portland and New Jersey for open general manager jobs, but both franchises went other directions.
San Antonio has room in their front office after Dell Demps left them this summer to be the head man in New Orleans. Ferry is still close with Spurs coach Gregg Popovich.
The only real question is does Ferry now want to take a season off from the game and be a family man, or jump right back in. If he jumps, the Spurs seem the likely landing spot.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 41
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 5
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5