Aug 11, 2010, 9:57 AM EDT
Danny Ferry is no Pat Riley.
Ferry spent years in Cleveland trying to build a team around LeBron James that would make the superstar happy. He built some very good teams — teams with the best record in the NBA the last two years — but not ones that could win it all. So Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert sent Ferry walking (and that really helped keep LeBron).
Ferry started his front office career with the Spurs, learning their ways. Which means an owner that stays out of the basketball side, sticking with your coach and finding the right role players — not just stars — to put around your star. So, basically, the opposite of what Gilbert wanted.
Ferry interviewed in Portland and New Jersey for open general manager jobs, but both franchises went other directions.
San Antonio has room in their front office after Dell Demps left them this summer to be the head man in New Orleans. Ferry is still close with Spurs coach Gregg Popovich.
The only real question is does Ferry now want to take a season off from the game and be a family man, or jump right back in. If he jumps, the Spurs seem the likely landing spot.
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 1
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 12
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 5
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 9
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 13
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (68)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final