Aug 11, 2010, 2:27 PM EDT
Right on the heels of a trade where the Pacers finally get the point guard of the future they have desperately wanted, they are trying to shed the last point guard of the future.
The Pacers are negotiating to buy out the rest of T.J. Ford’s contract, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo. Possible trade options are being discussed as well. Either way, Ford is on his way out the door.
Ford is owed $8.5 million this season. A trade makes more sense, I’m not sure why he would take much less money in a buyout. Maybe he takes a little less to be set free and see if he can land as a backup somewhere else. However, at this point that likely would be for a minimum salary, so it’s not like he’ll take a deep discount on the buyout.
That said, look for something to happen, because the Pacers are moving on.
In their first trade in years, the Pacers made a big move as part of a four-team deal. They get young, explosive point guard in Darren Collison, who filled in beautifully when Chris Paul was injured last season. Collison is perfect for Jim O’Brien’s running offense. They also get James Posey added to the roster (and his healthy contract to the books), but they had to give up Troy Murphy to make it happen.
Collison is the new point guard for the Pacers, the 35 minute a game guy. Ford will finally get out of O’Brien’s doghouse by getting out of Indiana.
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 3
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 4
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 15
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7