Aug 11, 2010, 10:36 AM EDT
The New Jersey Nets are about to go the way of the Buffalo Braves and the Syracuse Nationals.
Not only is the team moving, but also this week they officially filed paperwork with the league to change the name of the franchise, according to the New York Daily News. Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov said he was thinking of changing the name, but clearly was more than just toying with the idea.
It will be a couple of years before the change can take place — right about the time the team moves into its new home in Brooklyn. For the record, any new name would need the approval of the other owners.
So what do they go with: The Brooklyn….
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 13
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 26
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9