Aug 11, 2010, 10:36 AM EDT
The New Jersey Nets are about to go the way of the Buffalo Braves and the Syracuse Nationals.
Not only is the team moving, but also this week they officially filed paperwork with the league to change the name of the franchise, according to the New York Daily News. Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov said he was thinking of changing the name, but clearly was more than just toying with the idea.
It will be a couple of years before the change can take place — right about the time the team moves into its new home in Brooklyn. For the record, any new name would need the approval of the other owners.
So what do they go with: The Brooklyn….
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 5
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4