Aug 11, 2010, 9:29 AM EDT
Only one person’s opinion on the current college coach Isiah Thomas’ consulting contract with the Knicks really matters — David Stern.
However, even if Stern and the NBA lawyers do say that the contract is legal, don’t expect Mike Krzyzewski to jump on that bandwagon, as he told the Associated Press.
“I would decline to do that just because I shouldn’t be perceived to have an advantage in whatever way over another college coach, so that’s why I wouldn’t to do it,” he said after the Americans practiced. “I don’t think there’s anything ethically wrong with it or whatever, I just think that it’s probably better to keep it separate….”
“Have we served as consultants to the pros? Yeah,” Krzyzewski said. “People call us before the draft, ‘What do think of this, what do you think of that?” I think it’s better to have it like that.”
One of Krzyzewski’s assistants with Team USA is the man most directly impacted by the hiring — Knicks coach Mike D’Antoni. And he’s good with it.
“Donnie is very smart to be able to tap into it when he needs it, and if it’s an advantage to the Knicks then we’ll use it,” D’Antoni said…
“The only thing is, it does get a life of its own and it’s not going to change what Donnie does, what he has done and how good he has done it,” D’Antoni said. “And again, if it can help us, which I think in certain areas it can, then we will use that and so there’s no negatives to it other than it created a story with (the media).”
- Spurs/Grizzlies preview: Game 2 will be closer, but will that be enough for Memphis? 0
- Report: Dwight Howard told Lakers GM he was frustrated with D’Antoni 15
- Durant, Thunder players tweet out support for Oklahoma City 6
- Brothers allege entourage of Damian Lillard beat them for taking his picture 18
- Amar’e Stoudemire still thinks Knicks’ front court trio can work 17
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (119)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (73)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay