Aug 11, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
They may not yet realize just how hard it will be (well, one of them does), but Miami’s big three gets what the expectations they have created are:
“We have to win a championship,” forward Chris Bosh said….
“I think so, because of the situation we’ve brought to ourselves,” he said. “With this group that we’ve assembled, we know we have to win a championship.
“We signed up for it. We know that everything is championship. We need to win a championship.”
Bosh also scoffed at the idea of a 72-win season for the Heat, noting that the core of the Bulls team that set that record had been together for years.
There was 72-win talk by the fans of the Lakers and Cavaliers last season, then those teams won 57 and 61 games, respectively. People don’t realize how ridiculous 72 wins is, how unlikely we ever are to see that record broken. Also, Phil Jackson theorized that only a team in the Midwest — where the time change from coast-to-coast on travel is not as severe — could pull off that many wins. Miami, obviously, right on a coast.
The Heat are going to win a lot of regular season games, however. What Bosh and his pals also know is those wins will be considered a failure without a trophy to go with it.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 0
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 17
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14