Aug 10, 2010, 11:07 PM EST
UPDATE 11:03 PM: According to Hoops Hype, both years of Harangody’s deal will be for the minimum salary and will be fully guaranteed.
12:12 PM: The Brian Scalabrine era is over. According to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports, the Boston Celtics have signed second round pick Luke Harangody to a two-year contract, effectively replacing the long-tenured Scal and then some.
Harangody’s production at Notre Dame was elite, but a lot of teams worried how he would function as a positional tweener. ‘Gody is in that fun gap in between positional designations, where he’s too slow to guard most 3s and possibly not big enough to effectively guard taller 4s. Being a 6’7” big may not be too much of a problem at the college level, but in the NBA it can be a considerable road block. It’s not so important that Harangody has a pre-set combination of size and skills, but he needs to be able to guard somebody.
Harangody’s lack of height and athleticism (by NBA standards) certainly shift the odds against him. Yet at the Orlando Summer League, Harangody quelled a lot of the more public concerns about his game by showcasing his scoring and rebounding abilities while holding his own defensively.
It’s a hell of a jump talent-wise from Summer League to the NBA main stage, but thus far he’s performed well at each possible level of competition. That’s definitely worth a near-minimum salary investment. Harangody isn’t oozing with promise, but he has the makings and pedigree of a solid, long-term NBA contributor, and the defending Eastern Conference champs just picked him up on the cheapest end of cheap.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 5
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8