Aug 10, 2010, 11:07 PM EDT
UPDATE 11:03 PM: According to Hoops Hype, both years of Harangody’s deal will be for the minimum salary and will be fully guaranteed.
12:12 PM: The Brian Scalabrine era is over. According to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports, the Boston Celtics have signed second round pick Luke Harangody to a two-year contract, effectively replacing the long-tenured Scal and then some.
Harangody’s production at Notre Dame was elite, but a lot of teams worried how he would function as a positional tweener. ‘Gody is in that fun gap in between positional designations, where he’s too slow to guard most 3s and possibly not big enough to effectively guard taller 4s. Being a 6’7” big may not be too much of a problem at the college level, but in the NBA it can be a considerable road block. It’s not so important that Harangody has a pre-set combination of size and skills, but he needs to be able to guard somebody.
Harangody’s lack of height and athleticism (by NBA standards) certainly shift the odds against him. Yet at the Orlando Summer League, Harangody quelled a lot of the more public concerns about his game by showcasing his scoring and rebounding abilities while holding his own defensively.
It’s a hell of a jump talent-wise from Summer League to the NBA main stage, but thus far he’s performed well at each possible level of competition. That’s definitely worth a near-minimum salary investment. Harangody isn’t oozing with promise, but he has the makings and pedigree of a solid, long-term NBA contributor, and the defending Eastern Conference champs just picked him up on the cheapest end of cheap.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 49
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 12
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 35
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32