Aug 10, 2010, 11:07 PM EST
UPDATE 11:03 PM: According to Hoops Hype, both years of Harangody’s deal will be for the minimum salary and will be fully guaranteed.
12:12 PM: The Brian Scalabrine era is over. According to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports, the Boston Celtics have signed second round pick Luke Harangody to a two-year contract, effectively replacing the long-tenured Scal and then some.
Harangody’s production at Notre Dame was elite, but a lot of teams worried how he would function as a positional tweener. ‘Gody is in that fun gap in between positional designations, where he’s too slow to guard most 3s and possibly not big enough to effectively guard taller 4s. Being a 6’7” big may not be too much of a problem at the college level, but in the NBA it can be a considerable road block. It’s not so important that Harangody has a pre-set combination of size and skills, but he needs to be able to guard somebody.
Harangody’s lack of height and athleticism (by NBA standards) certainly shift the odds against him. Yet at the Orlando Summer League, Harangody quelled a lot of the more public concerns about his game by showcasing his scoring and rebounding abilities while holding his own defensively.
It’s a hell of a jump talent-wise from Summer League to the NBA main stage, but thus far he’s performed well at each possible level of competition. That’s definitely worth a near-minimum salary investment. Harangody isn’t oozing with promise, but he has the makings and pedigree of a solid, long-term NBA contributor, and the defending Eastern Conference champs just picked him up on the cheapest end of cheap.
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 17
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 4
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11