Aug 9, 2010, 2:16 PM EDT
Shaq’s recruitment wasn’t enough.
Rasheed Wallace’s agent has told Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe that Sheed is going to retire.
Doc Rivers first brought up the idea right after Game 7 of the NBA finals, saying Sheed had not enjoyed dragging his body through a long season and a host of nagging injuries last year. After that, reports varied from retiring to not, but he was clearly vacillating. Last year may have bothered him, but walking away from a team so close to a title is not easy.
Wallace has apparently reached peace with the decision.
The Celtics may still trade Wallace. Wallace is owned two years, $13 million by the Celtics (which also would be hard to walk away from). With confirmation that he would retire, other teams may be willing to trade for him to save money (make the trade, buy him out at a greatly reduced amount, he files for retirement and you get a big cap savings).
But however it does down, Wallace appears to be done as a player. And that makes the league a little less colorful and a little more boring.
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 3
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 29
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 13
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 19
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games