Report: Rasheed Wallace will retire

Aug 9, 2010, 2:16 PM EDT

Rasheed Wallace.jpgShaq’s recruitment wasn’t enough.

Rasheed Wallace’s agent has told Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe that Sheed is going to retire.

Doc Rivers first brought up the idea right after Game 7 of the NBA finals, saying Sheed had not enjoyed dragging his body through a long season and a host of nagging injuries last year. After that, reports varied from retiring to not, but he was clearly vacillating. Last year may have bothered him, but walking away from a team so close to a title is not easy.

Wallace has apparently reached peace with the decision.

The Celtics may still trade Wallace. Wallace is owned two years, $13 million by the Celtics (which also would be hard to walk away from). With confirmation that he would retire, other teams may be willing to trade for him to save money (make the trade, buy him out at a greatly reduced amount, he files for retirement and you get a big cap savings).

But however it does down, Wallace appears to be done as a player. And that makes the league a little less colorful and a little more boring.

1. deathday - Aug 9, 2010 at 2:36 PM

This is a shame. I was overjoyed when ‘sheed signed with the Celtics because I knew at that moment that they would not win a championship. And how beautifully it worked out!! Game 7 saw more minutes for Wallace and he got owned by the Lakers frontcourt. He reminds me of Antoine Walker who said the only reason why he takes so many 3’s is because there’s no 4-point line.
    Fortunately the Celtics did me another favor by signing Jermaine O’Neal & Shaq. Shaq is a huge liability on defense & Jermaine looked pathetic against good defense last year.

2. Deathday - Aug 9, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Hey PBT, what happened to the hilarious photos? Every article seemed to have the funniest repevant picture possible and I KNOW this isn’t the best ‘sheed photo. What about the face he makes after every foul call? Eyes & mouth wide open, palms up. It’s my favorite reaction.

3. Hoog - Aug 9, 2010 at 3:46 PM

Right. Easy to say months after the fact. What a prognosticator your are. I’m sure you probably “predicted” a first or second round exit.
    Yeah, what a failure of a season, losing in Game 7 of the finals. Shaq is a body, and O’Neal is about the 4th option on offense.
    And no, I’m not a Celtics fan. Actually, I don’t care for them much, too thuggish. But, they’re going to there again.
    It’s called depth.

4. Hoog - Aug 9, 2010 at 3:48 PM

It’s called depth.

5. Dball - Aug 9, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Don’t let the door hit you on your @ss on the way out.

6. james - Aug 9, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Sheed did just fine in game 7. Maybe if the Celtics had Perk in there for that last game the outcome would’ve been different. Actually I know it would’ve. And Bynum is an idiot. Seriously. How hurt was he? pushed his surgery back how many times and will be ready to play at the start of the season? Perk gets his surgery the week after and won’t be ready til February. Again, Lakers catch another break. Series is still 9-3. Celtics still own the Lakers and are still the winningest team in the NBA.

7. gobindo - Aug 9, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Shoulda, coulda, woulda… Perk played game 3 in Boston, what was the outcome? If Lakers had Bynum in 2008, who knows! Forget who was not there, respect the outcome. Series? Still stuck in the late 60’s, are we? If Boston was meaningful in the (late) 90’s and (early) 00’s, maybe Lakers would have played them more and the “series” would mean more.

8. gobindo - Aug 9, 2010 at 10:25 PM

9. gobindo - Aug 9, 2010 at 10:26 PM

10. scott cagle pensacola best buy - Aug 10, 2010 at 12:28 AM

I like sheed, alot. I would love to do roman style with him. Picture it Rome 25 bce in a bath house. Sheed is bent over with his face crammed into a stone toilet with me and a bunch of centurions step up onto a stool one by one and proceed to put the Ra into Sheed. Obstructed by his facial placement is the beads of sweat beading on his forehead followed the straining expression when one of the larger centurions starts going to town. Its like this everyday since he is still in the closet but when away from his wife he becomes Kesha or Tasha

11. scott cagle pensacola best buy - Aug 10, 2010 at 12:32 AM

12. chad - Aug 10, 2010 at 12:35 AM

Queen Sheeda!!! would make one ugly woman but that is what beer is for

13. Anonymous - Aug 10, 2010 at 12:50 AM

unacceptable comment from Dball. It shouldn’t be allowed and can’t be ignored

14. thorsif - Aug 10, 2010 at 10:12 AM

what an idiot…

15. SpfldCollege - Aug 10, 2010 at 10:26 AM

In regards to the thuggish nature inferred by the supportive non Celtic fan – I hope you noticed the way Kobe kicked Perk’s leg just before the injury. i have only mentioned this to Celtic fans as we don’t whine about the results. We had a chance even w/o Perk but I wanted to help this gent to understand that the gaem was significantly more physical when it was an actual sport and not a show for television. In addition position is 9/10 th’s of the game if you understand that you know that position control is the key to victory.
    Perhaps you have not played the sport at a high level, this would allow such an aloof view of the sport of tall men. I don’t know if you noticed but the Lakers were quite physical as well. Isn’t that why they beefed up? Still they could only win the title with ecessive foul attempts and league/ref influnced games.
    We will go ofr 2 out of 3, let’s see how it turns out. Oh by the way I think Miami is already champion for this year. They are breaking a 33 game win streak set by a gallant Laker team ( I am a Celtic – basketball fan). They are also awarded at least 73 games for the upcoming season.
    I can’t wait to get started! Roll it out let’s start the run!

16. SpfldCollege - Aug 10, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Perk owned Bynum in 2008! He is the reason Bynum improved so much! Yes, the out come would have become significantly different had the proper calls been made during the series. For one Perk was ejected and suspended for his hand slipping the grip on another player and his elbow bumping another player by accident.
    Okay we were still in the series. I knew it would go 7 I was just sorry to see the refs have so much influnce in the out come of a championship. It tainted the Lakers win for me. It reminds me of the San Antonio Chamionshp in 1999 (I think – the strike shortened season), were they really the best team?
    Roll It Out
    Let’s Play

17. Anonymous - Aug 10, 2010 at 10:41 AM

dball, Why go there?

18. Alfred - Aug 10, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Hey boston!!! Get over it. Stop the whining. You’re supposed to be stronger than that. Reality check….since 1980, (30 yrs. ago!), Lakers, 3, Celtics, 2. Lakers 10, Celtics 3!! Oh yeah I almost forgot. NBA Finals appearances. Lakers: 16 in 30 years! Celtics : 7 in 30 years. I know, i know…what about the 60’s?? Boring and no one cares. Lakers will 3 peat again and the celtics will not be the conquered!!

19. Bill-Sonora - Aug 10, 2010 at 9:58 PM

“Sheed did just fine in game 7. Maybe if the Celtics had Perk in there for that last game the outcome would’ve been different”
    Im tired of this excuse. I repeat, the same could be said of Andrew Bynum, “Maybe if the Lakers had Bynum in there (2008 Finals), the outcome wouldve been different.”
    But no, the Lakers lost in ’08, got better and got revenge with better defense.
    And stop it with that lame excuse.

20. Oscar - Aug 23, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Will miss ‘Sheed….He is a very intense player. I will miss him. I became a Celtic fan because of KG and ‘Sheed!

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches