Aug 9, 2010, 8:42 PM EDT
In the 2009 playoffs, Rafer Alston played a key role in helping the Magic upset the Cavaliers in the Eastern Conference Semifinals. Less than one calendar year later, his NBA career was on life support. Alston struggled mightily while playing for the Nets, shooting well under 40% during his time with the team. After the Nets waived him at mid-season, Alston was picked up by the Heat, who suspended the point guard for a full season after Alston missed games and practice time for personal reasons.
Rafer Alston has to fight the familiar feeling every time he steps into a park with a game going on in New York City. The former Cardozo star, nicknamed Skip 2 My Lou, got his start and legendary status on the streetball circuit before getting his break in the NBA.“It hard to fight the temptation not to play again,” Alston said watching from the sidelines at the Tri-State Classic in Harlem Saturday. “Every time I come I have the urge.”Alston still isn’t sure where people will be watching him next season. He is still a free agent, but acknowledged during the game that the Knicks didn’t have any interest in him, much to the verbal dismay of Tri-State announcer 40 Cal……”You built your legacy to where you are always going to teams to help them become a contender, now you are going to teams that are rebuilding. That’s the most difficult thing,” said Alston, who coaches with the NY Panthers AAU team.
Even if Alston never plays another NBA game, he’ll always be remembered as a legend of the playgrounds and one of the first modern players to go from being a streetball celebrity to a productive NBA player. All that remains to be seen is whether any NBA team is willing to give “Skip” one more chance to use his playground-honed moves against the best players in the world.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 2
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48