Aug 9, 2010, 6:25 PM EDT
There are a million reasons why the Knicks hiring Isiah Thomas as a consultant would be a bad idea for them. Fortunately for Knicks fans, it would probably be illegal for the Knicks to hire Thomas under league rules. CBS’ Ken Berger has the facts:
The Knicks, sources say, are going to have a very difficult time getting this hire past NBA officials. Not because it’s a stupid idea, but because it’s probably against league rules.The NBA Constitution and By-Laws include very strict prohibitions against team employees having contact with draft-ineligible players — i.e., high school prospects and college or international players not yet eligible to be drafted. NBA team officials aren’t even permitted to utter the names of such players, much less coach them, scout them, or comment about them in press conferences.Seeing as Thomas is the head basketball coach at Florida International University, it would seem to be elementary that such contact is a daily requirement of his day job. Thus, unless the Knicks can pull a fast one on David Stern — and good luck with that — sources say it is highly unlikely that the team’s attempt to hire Thomas will pass the smell test, much less the legal one.
Thomas did tell Dan LeBatard that if he was to leave FIU, the only positions that he would be interested in looking at would be “to be a general manager for a team or consulting or advising with a team,” so maybe he does plan to leave FIU job in order to be a consultant with the Knicks, although he hasn’t given any indications that quitting his coaching gig is part of his plans.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 9
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 12
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29