Aug 9, 2010, 6:25 PM EST
There are a million reasons why the Knicks hiring Isiah Thomas as a consultant would be a bad idea for them. Fortunately for Knicks fans, it would probably be illegal for the Knicks to hire Thomas under league rules. CBS’ Ken Berger has the facts:
The Knicks, sources say, are going to have a very difficult time getting this hire past NBA officials. Not because it’s a stupid idea, but because it’s probably against league rules.The NBA Constitution and By-Laws include very strict prohibitions against team employees having contact with draft-ineligible players — i.e., high school prospects and college or international players not yet eligible to be drafted. NBA team officials aren’t even permitted to utter the names of such players, much less coach them, scout them, or comment about them in press conferences.Seeing as Thomas is the head basketball coach at Florida International University, it would seem to be elementary that such contact is a daily requirement of his day job. Thus, unless the Knicks can pull a fast one on David Stern — and good luck with that — sources say it is highly unlikely that the team’s attempt to hire Thomas will pass the smell test, much less the legal one.
Thomas did tell Dan LeBatard that if he was to leave FIU, the only positions that he would be interested in looking at would be “to be a general manager for a team or consulting or advising with a team,” so maybe he does plan to leave FIU job in order to be a consultant with the Knicks, although he hasn’t given any indications that quitting his coaching gig is part of his plans.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 0
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 4
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 1
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 20
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 13
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (39)