Andris Biedrins not showing the love to Golden State this summer

Aug 9, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT

Biedrins.jpgThis summer, Andris Biedrins isn’t working out with the Warriors. He went off on his own.

And after a year where his coach generally jerked him around then called him on his (admittedly terrible) free throw shooting, a year where he thinks the team doctors may not have been forthcoming about his injury, it’s kind of hard to blame him.

All this comes out in a forthright interview he did in his native Latvia recently. Warriors World had the interview translated for us.

It all starts with talk of his off-season conditioning, and why he went away from working with the Warriors.

“It was me and my agent’s decision, we decided to go our own way.  It’s a risk, but, at the same time, after the first injury early in the year, the Warriors said that it’s nothing special. When I had to do surgery, my agent and I, we were a bit disappointed, we thought that, maybe, surgery was the right course of action from the start. The franchise naturally tried everything to keep me in, because if I had surgery early on then I might have missed the entire season. We felt like the team made me play to quick after the first injury; so we decided to go our own way on this – our doctors and experts.”

As for Don Nelson commenting on Biedrins’ free throw shooting…

“When he said I should practice underhanded; I felt very disrespected.  At one point I spoke to a Psychiatrist who reminded me of some things, but it’s not so bad that they send you and try to brainwash you. It’s mostly about believing in yourself, because, before this season it was more or less OK.  You start thinking about so many things at the free throw line that you forget everything and anything about the actual free throw motion and what you’ve practiced.”

He doesn’t have a lot of love for the GSW locker-room either…

I can tell you right now, about our team, most of my teammates are egoists. But what can you do?  It’s important to have good veterans as the rookies and young guys will take after them.  Right now, I would say I don’t have a good relationship rather a neutral or friendly one with everyone on the team.  I don’t have any problems with any player and I don’t think anyone has a problem with me. Of course, we aren’t real big buddies, but our relationship is on a professional level and we can work successfully.”

It will be interesting to see how a new coach uses Biedrins next season. Or if there will be a new coach next season and instead Biedrins gets another season of Don Nelson mind games. Either way, Beidrins seems to have figured out how to be his own man.

1. Yosef - Aug 9, 2010 at 12:35 PM

I hope everything works out for the big guy. He’s been one of those borderline breakout stars for years, he just can’t seem to get it all going for him.

2. porsche22 - Aug 9, 2010 at 2:07 PM

I just hope they get rid of the coach and players with big heads! They just can’t keep an egoist coach it just trickles down to the players.

3. wardogs1 - Aug 9, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Hey Owners….someone needs to bring the big guy BACK into the fold. If he gets back to form, he will make David Lee that much better!!

4. Will - Aug 9, 2010 at 7:28 PM

Get rid of him he’s garbage

5. Woogie - Aug 9, 2010 at 7:37 PM

Dre needs to remember that Nellie, nor the training staff, nor his fellow players shot 17% from the free throw line, and that none of them were responsible for Dre to have never developed a low post move/shot after six years in the league. If he was an All Star, OK, point may be valid. But he has no one else to blame for being so mediocre after growing up in the Association.

6. SanFranSam - Aug 9, 2010 at 7:40 PM

Where’s the “dissing”? What I read here looked pretty reasonable to me. The only thing I have a problem with is Andris’s perspective on being asked to try shooting free throws underhanded. How is such a request a sign of being disrespected? Doesn’t he realize that one of the greatest free throw shooters of all time (and, coincidentally, the greatest non-Philly Warrior of all time) is Rick Barry, who famously shot underhanded? He obviously had no problems shooting that way, was a perpetual MVP candidate and led his team to an NBA championship. Andris should reconsider Nelson’s suggestion until he can come up with a better idea of his own…

7. Ryan - Aug 9, 2010 at 7:50 PM

woogie’s got it right, where does Andris get off disrespecting the game and his salary by not practicing his freethrows. He just looked terrible out there. The guy hasn’t played hard at all since signing his contract. Can anyone remember the warriors refusing to deal beidrins for k.g. and then amare. They should’ve gotten rid of this mess while Baron was still giving him easy buckets. ughh, terrible front office. Also his fake tan is appalling.

8. citznkane1 - Aug 9, 2010 at 8:42 PM

It sounds like the W’s medical team wasn’t upfront with Biedrins and his injuries and may have been rushed back before he recovered. This could explain why he looked so horrible all year. AD implies the W’s management made him a scapegoat for his poor play but without explaining his physical situation to the public – typical bad Warrior player-management relationships. Who knows where AD’s head (let alone his heart) is. Maybe he needs a change of scenery. Well, Nellie will screw with his head again which is what Nellie is famous for if you’re youngish-overly respectful (watch out Lin!) and not an All Star veteran. Hmmm, do we really want such an influence around for another year? It could be setting up for a season-long slow car crash…I don’t see any benefit in it for anyone.

9. C J J - Aug 9, 2010 at 8:53 PM

I mean for the kind of money these pro athlets get for playing a game and entertaining people…it amazing how dysfunctional these guys really are today as people. What a unique opportunity they have to make $$$ of dollars as entertainers.
    What would all these guys attitude be if they had regular job’s in the “real” world….making non basketball money?
    Be grateful for the opportunity and work hard to earn that money on the court!

10. permabear - Aug 9, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Biedrins has never been a problem in the locker room. He had a tough year due to injuries. All the problems the Warriors face start with management and the coach. Once Cohan, Rowell and especially Nelson are gone, the Ws can start from scratch, and I hope that Biedrins is part of the mix. He’s a fan favorite and when healthy and coached properly, can be a big contributor in the coming years. As a longtime Warrior fan, I don’t want to see Biedrins join the crowd of ex Warriors who excels once they leave the team.

11. ayala61599 - Aug 9, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Biedrins is a good kid with allot of upside for the Warriors that just has not been properly coached. Our new ownership needs to get rid of Nellie now, so we can begin the process of building a Top NBA team now. Damm the personal record Nellie is chasing. Let him get it at the expense of another teams payroll, and player devolopement!!! If he’s so big on whats not getting done,tell me when have you seen a Nellie coached team ANYWHERE play defense??? Don’t trip, I’ll wait. You can’t because in over 20 years he hasn’t learned to COACH IT!!! Listen Nellie has cost the Warriors enough already, and the real problem with that is we paid him to do it!!

12. Maui Dad - Aug 9, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Andris needs to look inside himself. Has there been Warrior dysfunction? We all know the answer to that question. With $50 + million due to him over the course of the life of his contract, he should be bettering himself every off season in some way shape or form (Hmmmmm free throws might be a start) not getting into trouble with players from his national team. Suck it up and take it like a man Andris.

13. DMoney - Aug 10, 2010 at 12:55 AM

I agree totally, this guy is not an impact player like their paying him, he is no threat at all…. don’t even have to guard him…. cannot shoot period…. get another big man… trade this bum and his high price contract….who even wants this guy… nobody… this guy is GARBAGE !!!

14. WarriorfaninKy - Aug 10, 2010 at 5:56 AM

Easy fix my fellow Warrior fans…..C-Ya Don!

15. Crankshaft - Aug 10, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Can’t shoot? Two years ago he had a shooting percentage in the 60’s. How many times did I hear Barnett say, “where would the Warriors be without Biedrins”?
    He has great hands down low (unlike a host of former W’s big men; think Dampier).
    He is a quality player still getting better who had a tough luck injury riddled year. Sure he needs work on his free throws but FT’s are mostly mental and with Nelson f***king with his head no wonder he would regress in that area.
    His interview didn’t sound like dissing to me. A professional relationship with your team mates? Sounds pretty grown up to me.

16. noah - Aug 10, 2010 at 5:12 PM

I like his game.he’ll get back to avg a double double.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches