Aug 8, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
Rasheed Wallace is on the fence about retirement — last year was physically hard for him, but the chance to come back with a team to make one more run at a title has to be a big temptation.
Shaquille O’Neal — the newest member of the Celtics frontcourt, told Comcast Sports New England he wants him back.
“I know Rasheed is thinking about coming back,” said O’Neal, who was in attendance at a charity basketball game in Orlando, Fla. “Rasheed, go on and come back for one or two more years.”
Players always want more good players on their team — but Boston’s frontcourt is already pretty crowded.
Kevin Garnett and Jermaine O’Neal will be your starters. Shaq will come in off the bench for the other O’Neal, Glen Davis will spell KG. So in that scenario, there are already pretty limited minutes for Sheed, but there are some. However, how many shots are there for him? Not many.
Then what happens when Kendrick Perkins returns around the All-Star Game? Wallace would be cut back heavily.
The Celtics would love to have Sheed back in that role (even the fans seem willing to take him back in a more limited role than he had last year). But does Sheed himself want to chase a ring largely as a spectator for a year? Would he be happy with the limited minutes and role he would have? That’s the question only he can answer and would guide his return.
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 8
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 30
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 55
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 85
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13