Aug 8, 2010, 2:00 PM EST
Rasheed Wallace is on the fence about retirement — last year was physically hard for him, but the chance to come back with a team to make one more run at a title has to be a big temptation.
Shaquille O’Neal — the newest member of the Celtics frontcourt, told Comcast Sports New England he wants him back.
“I know Rasheed is thinking about coming back,” said O’Neal, who was in attendance at a charity basketball game in Orlando, Fla. “Rasheed, go on and come back for one or two more years.”
Players always want more good players on their team — but Boston’s frontcourt is already pretty crowded.
Kevin Garnett and Jermaine O’Neal will be your starters. Shaq will come in off the bench for the other O’Neal, Glen Davis will spell KG. So in that scenario, there are already pretty limited minutes for Sheed, but there are some. However, how many shots are there for him? Not many.
Then what happens when Kendrick Perkins returns around the All-Star Game? Wallace would be cut back heavily.
The Celtics would love to have Sheed back in that role (even the fans seem willing to take him back in a more limited role than he had last year). But does Sheed himself want to chase a ring largely as a spectator for a year? Would he be happy with the limited minutes and role he would have? That’s the question only he can answer and would guide his return.
- The Extra Pass: The league’s leading lineups; plus Tuesday’s recaps 6
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 5
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 32
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 26
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (57)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)