Aug 8, 2010, 8:36 AM EDT
Isiah Thomas is a polarizing figure in sports management. Some people think he’s the worst manager in the history of the NBA, while others think he’s the worst manager in the history of all sports, ever, in the history of the universe. And from a report this morning, Donnie Walsh is similarly wrapped up in that fierce debate.
The New York Daily News reports this morning that Walsh nearly quit after learning that Dolan had re-hired Isiah Thomas as a consultant, with a source saying Walsh finds the whole thing “distasteful.”
Now, bear in mind that Walsh has a history with Thomas prior to New York, hiring him as a coach in Indiana. Furthermore, Walsh thanked Thomas during the introductory presser for Amar’e Stoudemire, and was at least somewhat involved in the decision to send Thomas before LeBron James this summer for the last pitch to James in free agency on behalf of the Knicks.
So it would seem a little odd for Walsh to just go running off upon Thomas’ hiring. A more plausible scenario would simply be Walsh considering walking away based on any move that compromises his authority, if it was Dolan that made the decision to bring back Thomas. Expect the Knicks to get out in front of this one and have Walsh make some comments about his decision to bring back Thomas.
What is clear is that everyone and their mother is baffled by the Knicks’ decision to re-hire Thomas.
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 1
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 74
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20