Aug 7, 2010, 9:41 AM EST
In the aftermath of “The Decision,” a few Cleveland fans emerged from the rubble. Stumbling, mumbling to themselves, they asked a question, “Wait, LeBron’s got charity events in Akron in a few weeks. Is he even going to be able to show his face there?”
The question, apparently, is a resounding yes.
LeBron’s King for Kids Bikeathon went on as scheduled Saturday morning, and the Akron Beacon Journal’s Jason Lloyd was in attendance. There was, unsurprisingly, lower attendance for the event, but no extra security was added. The question would be how the crowd reacted to James’ arrival.
Cheers. Even some signs about Akron still loving the King.
There was talk of how James would be unable to show his face in Akron, again. But just as James himself had always alluded to, pointing out very clearly he was from Akron, and not Cleveland, there appears to be a disconnect between the two Ohio cities. The thought process that links the two is often from places outside of Cleveland, larger cities that don’t compete with another zipcode in-state. After all, Kansas City and St. Louis don’t much care what happens to the other, nor does Dallas get worked up if Houston gets the short stick. There’s a matter of public pride for your state, sure, but James also put Akron on the map, and thanked them publicly in the infamous Cleveland-omitted letter.
James is from Akron, Ohio. And while he can never return to Cleveland in peace, probably, apparently you can go home again. And bike, while you’re at it.
UPDATE: James actually publicly thanked the city of Cleveland in his remarks there. So prepare to hear about that for the rest of the day.
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Santa brings Warriors top spot, lump of coal for Knicks 6
- Clippers, Mavericks, Rockets and Kings reportedly interested in signing Josh Smith 12
- Pistons release Josh Smith. WHAT? 52
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 27
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 13
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 20