Aug 7, 2010, 9:41 AM EST
In the aftermath of “The Decision,” a few Cleveland fans emerged from the rubble. Stumbling, mumbling to themselves, they asked a question, “Wait, LeBron’s got charity events in Akron in a few weeks. Is he even going to be able to show his face there?”
The question, apparently, is a resounding yes.
LeBron’s King for Kids Bikeathon went on as scheduled Saturday morning, and the Akron Beacon Journal’s Jason Lloyd was in attendance. There was, unsurprisingly, lower attendance for the event, but no extra security was added. The question would be how the crowd reacted to James’ arrival.
Cheers. Even some signs about Akron still loving the King.
There was talk of how James would be unable to show his face in Akron, again. But just as James himself had always alluded to, pointing out very clearly he was from Akron, and not Cleveland, there appears to be a disconnect between the two Ohio cities. The thought process that links the two is often from places outside of Cleveland, larger cities that don’t compete with another zipcode in-state. After all, Kansas City and St. Louis don’t much care what happens to the other, nor does Dallas get worked up if Houston gets the short stick. There’s a matter of public pride for your state, sure, but James also put Akron on the map, and thanked them publicly in the infamous Cleveland-omitted letter.
James is from Akron, Ohio. And while he can never return to Cleveland in peace, probably, apparently you can go home again. And bike, while you’re at it.
UPDATE: James actually publicly thanked the city of Cleveland in his remarks there. So prepare to hear about that for the rest of the day.
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 1
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 1
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 15
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 2
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 4
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)