Aug 6, 2010, 10:46 AM EDT
You don’t think of France as an international basketball powerhouse — because they are not — but they were going to roll out an impressive and long NBA front line in Turkey next month: Joakim Noah (Chicago), Boris Diaw (Charlotte) and Ian Mahinmi (Dallas).
Well, they still have two thirds of that.
French coach Vincent Collet said Noah will not play for the team at the FIBA World Championships.
“I was pessimistic and now I can tell you it’s a done deal,” he said. “We must turn the page. That is what I have done.”
Noah has had talks with the Bulls about a possible contract extension (he is heading into the last guaranteed year of his rookie deal). He was hesitant to risk injury playing in the World Championships while trying to negotiate a new deal.
France also will be without Tony Parker, but that might be fine with Rodrigue Beaubois on the team. And there is a chance Collet may actually play Beaubois in key minutes (you listening, Rick Carlisle).
France is in a tough group, with powerhouse Spain, Lithuania, New Zealand, Canada and Lebanon. That’s one they should advance from, however, but the loss of Noah does not make that easier.
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 4
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 5
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 7
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 12
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (98)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'