Aug 6, 2010, 10:30 PM EDT
There are plenty of young NBA fans out there — probably even young Celtics fans — who are saying “Dennis Johnson who?”
He is maybe the best baller ever to come out of the prettiest college campus in America, Pepperdine. He was the point guard for much of the 1980s Celtics run, the teams known for Larry Bird, but a lot of the times he was open for the shot it was DJ who got him the ball. DJ was one of the best at drawing contact and getting off the shot. He played fearlessly. He was clutch. He was intense. He was a Celtic.
He passed away all too early, at the age of 52 (three years ago). He goes into the Hall of Fame next week posthumously, but many of his friends will be there remembering and celebrating him.
- Bulls have no answer for Nene as Wizards take Game 1 0
- Charlotte is scrappy but Heat have too much in comfortable 99-88 win 9
- Spurs use huge 4th quarter run to come back and win Game 1 vs. Mavericks 8
- NBA issues statement saying Chris Paul was fouled before late-game turnover against Warriors 17
- Jim Buss says he’ll step down if Lakers aren’t contenders again in ‘three to four years’ 41