Aug 6, 2010, 10:30 PM EDT
There are plenty of young NBA fans out there — probably even young Celtics fans — who are saying “Dennis Johnson who?”
He is maybe the best baller ever to come out of the prettiest college campus in America, Pepperdine. He was the point guard for much of the 1980s Celtics run, the teams known for Larry Bird, but a lot of the times he was open for the shot it was DJ who got him the ball. DJ was one of the best at drawing contact and getting off the shot. He played fearlessly. He was clutch. He was intense. He was a Celtic.
He passed away all too early, at the age of 52 (three years ago). He goes into the Hall of Fame next week posthumously, but many of his friends will be there remembering and celebrating him.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 19
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 27
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 51
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18