Aug 6, 2010, 10:30 PM EDT
There are plenty of young NBA fans out there — probably even young Celtics fans — who are saying “Dennis Johnson who?”
He is maybe the best baller ever to come out of the prettiest college campus in America, Pepperdine. He was the point guard for much of the 1980s Celtics run, the teams known for Larry Bird, but a lot of the times he was open for the shot it was DJ who got him the ball. DJ was one of the best at drawing contact and getting off the shot. He played fearlessly. He was clutch. He was intense. He was a Celtic.
He passed away all too early, at the age of 52 (three years ago). He goes into the Hall of Fame next week posthumously, but many of his friends will be there remembering and celebrating him.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 0
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48