Aug 6, 2010, 10:30 PM EDT
There are plenty of young NBA fans out there — probably even young Celtics fans — who are saying “Dennis Johnson who?”
He is maybe the best baller ever to come out of the prettiest college campus in America, Pepperdine. He was the point guard for much of the 1980s Celtics run, the teams known for Larry Bird, but a lot of the times he was open for the shot it was DJ who got him the ball. DJ was one of the best at drawing contact and getting off the shot. He played fearlessly. He was clutch. He was intense. He was a Celtic.
He passed away all too early, at the age of 52 (three years ago). He goes into the Hall of Fame next week posthumously, but many of his friends will be there remembering and celebrating him.
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 6
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 19
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 27
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 46
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 24
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 20
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22