Whither Adam Morrison?

Aug 5, 2010, 5:16 PM EDT

amorrison.jpgNow is the time of the summer when teams are grabbing guys on minimum deals — even make good deals, meaning they can be cut at training camp — to round out their roster. Guys 11 to 15 on the depth chart.

And Adam Morrison’s phone is not ringing.

In a fascinating look at Morrison — from the overexposed college player to the No. 3 pick not ready for the burden, to his time getting two rings while never setting foot on the court during a finals game with the Lakers — the shooter talks about his future in the league with Andy Kamenetzky of ESPNLosAngeles.com.

“I think I could be a really good sixth man,” suggests the forward. “I know I could still score. I’ve done it my whole life and I did it even in practices with the Lakers. You can ask any of the guys.” (For what it’s worth, various Lakers constantly praised Morrison’s ability to push starters during practice. As Odom insisted, “Leave him open and he’ll embarrass you.”)

Morrison will not be back with the Lakers. Any offensive potential coaches thought he had was masked by defensive issues. He was never going to get much run.

Last season most of his attempts came in a spot-up situation, but he shot just 29.7 percent on those, and 15 percent from three (according to Synergy Sports) It’s hard to read much into any of his statistics because he got such little run — he got in to only 33 Lakers games and played an average of 7 minutes in those games — but he didn’t grab the opportunities he had.

If you look across the country you see JJ Redick — the guy Morrison was tied to so often in college — who has rounded out his game, who has become more than a shooter. There was demand for Redick this summer by contending teams.

Morrison wants to be that guy. He worked out for teams in Vegas while Summer League was going on. Still no offers. At this point, you’d expect some team to at least give him an invite to camp, a chance to earn a spot. To see if he can be that light-it-up guy off the bench, at least some nights.

But he has yet to really shoot efficiently at the NBA level, and while he believes he can score he is going to have to prove it now. If he gets the chance.

If he doesn’t?

“If it doesn’t work out, it doesn’t work out. I’ll just go into something else. It’s just one of those things.”

1. Travis - Aug 7, 2010 at 8:20 AM

Blake– Don’t stoop to the level of that guy. He needs help.

2. pat jennings - Aug 8, 2010 at 2:22 PM

sometimes it seems like the only people who comment online are brain dead , Morrison once said he looked up to Che Guevara , so If you are a fox news watcher, which i assume u r from your comments. I guess that means u r rooting for a socialist.

3. jacktodd - Aug 9, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Scotty Cagle this is about basketball and people not the throw back of 60 years ago. Come on change with the rest of us. We are all tired of the Racist past lets just judge righteously and get on with life huh what do you say? To all the pure Basketball fans out there, all players come and go, its about skill and endurance and working through the pains that come with exerting the body. Some bodies can take the abuse for decades i.e John stockton,Karl Malone,some only for a few years we know who they are. They are still skilled just not physically up to the run and bang punishment of 80 + games a year.

4. teragram - Aug 10, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Like Mr. Foster, I followed Adam through his college basketball years and I wish him nothing but the best at this juncture. It would be great for us in Spokane to have another pro-baller to watch now that Stockton is back in town with us. But if not, I will say that Adam is welcome back home and he will undoubtedly be a good citizen and neighbor. I notice that he is continuing his golf tournament for diabetes which is taking up his time right now when he could (should) be concentrating on finding a new team to play with. As a fellow Gonzaga grad, I will say that at the least he has an excellent education that will take him far with his already bulging bank accout.

5. Iconoclast - Aug 11, 2010 at 4:03 PM

D!ck. Dumb M*th*rf*ck*r

6. RV - Aug 14, 2010 at 9:19 AM

OKC should look into aquiring morrison. He was great offensive player at Gonzage and with a new start on a new team would fit it in good as a sixth man off the bench.

7. Anonymous - Aug 17, 2010 at 7:50 PM

your a bitch

8. Anonymous - Aug 30, 2010 at 8:14 PM

I wish I could track you down!

9. Anonymous - Sep 1, 2010 at 3:01 PM

do any of you know what “trolling” means?
    you have all been trolled out of your MINDS.
    Scott, you’re my hero.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches