Aug 5, 2010, 8:23 PM EDT
Lance Blanks is the latest loss for the Cleveland Cavaliers.
Blanks, now the No. 2 man on the Cleveland basketball side, has decided to take over as general manager of the Phoenix Suns. Blanks had been rumored to be the frontrunner.
In practice, Blanks may be the No. 2 guy in Phoenix, too. Lon Babby, the newly hired president of basketball operations, will be the guy who actually has the power. He will be the one green-lighting deals. Blanks will be the guy doing a lot of the legwork and in on the discussions. But Lon Babby will be calling the shots at the end of the day.
Still, this is an upgrade of title, pay and responsibility for Blanks, who is popular among other basketball executives.
Cleveland owner Dan Gilbert pushed former general manager Danny Ferry to the curb and now has lost his newly-appointed second in command. Chris Grant remains the general manager in Cleveland but he may be looking for some help now.
- Report: Bobcats changing name back to Hornets 5
- Dwyane Wade grants wish, shows up at girl’s senior prom 5
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson 33
- Report: Vinny Del Negro to meet with Clippers’ owner Donald Sterling this weekend 3
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose 33
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay