Aug 5, 2010, 8:23 PM EDT
Lance Blanks is the latest loss for the Cleveland Cavaliers.
Blanks, now the No. 2 man on the Cleveland basketball side, has decided to take over as general manager of the Phoenix Suns. Blanks had been rumored to be the frontrunner.
In practice, Blanks may be the No. 2 guy in Phoenix, too. Lon Babby, the newly hired president of basketball operations, will be the guy who actually has the power. He will be the one green-lighting deals. Blanks will be the guy doing a lot of the legwork and in on the discussions. But Lon Babby will be calling the shots at the end of the day.
Still, this is an upgrade of title, pay and responsibility for Blanks, who is popular among other basketball executives.
Cleveland owner Dan Gilbert pushed former general manager Danny Ferry to the curb and now has lost his newly-appointed second in command. Chris Grant remains the general manager in Cleveland but he may be looking for some help now.
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 52
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 56
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6