Aug 5, 2010, 11:17 AM EDT
Larry Johnson could ball. He was the best player in college while at UNLV, he was a two time All Star, he averaged 19 points and 11 boards a game as a rookie for the then Charlotte Hornets.
Yet, the first image of him is as a grandma in a dress.
Still he has some basketball knowledge and he wants to pass it along. He has emerged as one of the leading candidates for the Chicago Bulls coaching staff, according to the Daily Herald.
Johnson was a player for the Knicks when Tim Thibodeau was on Jeff Van Gundy’s staff there, so they have a relationship. However, he may have a hard time beating out former Suns head man Terry Porter for the job.
Thibodeau let Pete Meyers go recently and is looking for a former player to fill that spot on the bench.
- Report: DeAndre Jordan “on verge ” of taking max deal to join Dallas Mavericks 10
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 10
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 7
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 4
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 22
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 10
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 54
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0