Aug 5, 2010, 2:50 PM EDT
This is what you get when your team has a Russian owner.
Nets coach Avery Johnson is in Moscow and both played and coached in a pickup game with CSKA Moscow, the Russian squad Mikhail Prokhorov owned before he purchased the Nets. The official Nets Web site has pictures and tells of the events (via TrueHoop).
He warmed up with the Russian players, all kitted out in Nets gear, and then put them through their paces. One player was overheard asking why he had to skip across the court. Coach Avery then changed into a CSKA jersey.
Joining Coach Avery was Sergey Kushchenko, the former President of the CSKA basketball club, who led the team to two Euroleague championships when Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov was the team’s sponsor. Sergey now serves as the Chief Executive Officer of Russia’s Biathlon Union, which has Mikhail as its President, and is one of Mikhail’s closest advisors on sports.
Also, Avery Johnson’s 15-year-old son held his own. May be time to get him and Austin Rivers (Doc’s boy) together for a game.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 4
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 38
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38