Aug 5, 2010, 2:50 PM EST
This is what you get when your team has a Russian owner.
Nets coach Avery Johnson is in Moscow and both played and coached in a pickup game with CSKA Moscow, the Russian squad Mikhail Prokhorov owned before he purchased the Nets. The official Nets Web site has pictures and tells of the events (via TrueHoop).
He warmed up with the Russian players, all kitted out in Nets gear, and then put them through their paces. One player was overheard asking why he had to skip across the court. Coach Avery then changed into a CSKA jersey.
Joining Coach Avery was Sergey Kushchenko, the former President of the CSKA basketball club, who led the team to two Euroleague championships when Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov was the team’s sponsor. Sergey now serves as the Chief Executive Officer of Russia’s Biathlon Union, which has Mikhail as its President, and is one of Mikhail’s closest advisors on sports.
Also, Avery Johnson’s 15-year-old son held his own. May be time to get him and Austin Rivers (Doc’s boy) together for a game.
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 0
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 6
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 7
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 17
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 17
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 4
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 23
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 13