Aug 4, 2010, 7:40 PM EDT
Interesting note from Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated on one of the changes Mikhail Prokhorov has already brought to the New Jersey Nets.
Nets spending heavily on scouting. Retain entire staff, move Roy Rogers to advance scout and hire three new scouts. Aggressive moves.
More information, more opinions, more voices can be a good thing. More teams should spend on scouting.
But what will the Nets do with those voices. King made some good decisions in Philadelphia — he drafted well — but some bad ones as well, usually overpaying for veterans (oversized contracts for Dikembe Mutombo, Aaron McKie, Kenny Thomas and more).
Those scouts can help him make more good decisions with young players, which is what the Nets need. Hopefully someone can talk him out of those veteran deals.
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 16
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 9
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61