Aug 4, 2010, 9:45 AM EDT
LeBron James is an Akron man. Born and raised. Still lives there.
Do not confuse that with being a Cleveland man. He played for the Cavaliers, but don’t go thinking Akron and Cleveland are one in the same. Well, Clevelanders may consider Akron a suburb but the feeling is not mutual. The fine folks of Akron see themselves as living in their own city, separate and distinct from Cleveland.
Which is what Maverick Carter — LeBron James’ right hand and the CEO LRMR, the marketing firm that handles LeBron — said about yesterday’s full-page ad in the Akron Beacon Journal.
The ad was a letter where LeBron thanked the people of Akron for their support. It’s an ad that did not once mention Cleveland, nor was it supposed to Carter told the paper.
”This is where he lives and where he will always live,” Carter said. ”This had nothing to do with Cleveland, nothing to do with the Cavaliers.”
The ad came just a couple weeks before LeBron’s big charity bike-a-thon in Akron.
Still it comes off as a glaring omission that no similar gesture was made to Cleveland, especially in light of the personable letter from Zydrunas Ilgauskas to the people of Cleveland last week.
Carter said LeBron may eventually run a thank-you ad and letter for Cleveland.
It may not have been intended this way, but it feels as just another slap in the face to Cleveland by LeBron. Another public relations error. Another thing ding in the image of LeBron.
- Kobe Bryant says elite players like LeBron, himself are underpaid. He’s right. 0
- It’s done: Kevin Love traded to Cavaliers, Andrew Wiggins headed to Minnesota in three-team deal 28
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 5
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 30
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 80
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16