It's official: Shaq is the Big Shamrock

Aug 4, 2010, 5:05 PM EDT

Thumbnail image for Celtics_Logo.gifDespite rumors that the deal had been hung up over money, the Boston Celtics have made it official.

Shaquille O’Neal is a member of the Boston Celtics. The deal is for the veteran’s minimum of $1.4 million.

“It is not every day that you can add a player of Shaquille’s caliber to your team,” said Danny Ainge, Celtics President of Basketball Operations. “His past experience speaks for itself and we believe that he is a great fit for our roster.”

Here is the official quote from Shaq, although you can be sure more entertaining ones (quotes not written by handlers) will be coming soon.

“I am honored to be joining the Celtics,” said O’Neal. “I have played against Paul, Ray, Kevin, Rajon, and Jermaine for many years and it will be great to be able to call them my teammates. I cannot wait to get to Boston to get started in pursuit of another championship.”

We’ve expressed our concerns about this deal — there are risks on both sides. But for both sides, this union may be the best way to a championship.

1. Cordae - Aug 4, 2010 at 7:52 PM

This is very…….ugly. The Celtics are already fatigued enough. They had all the size they needed. This is gonna look like a kid (Rondo) out running a bunch of men (the rest of the celtics) they just COULDN’T have waited until perk got better? smh…

2. maxxi - Aug 4, 2010 at 8:02 PM

Who give’s a rat’s behind where Shaq goes. He hasn’t made a dent in any season for several years. His arrogance drives him. I wasn’t surprised that he went to Boston, if he could have returnted to Miami he would have gone there. He just wants to get attention where attention is being made. I don’t think his jersey will be displayed over the Laker’s floor or anyother’s, maybe over his own at home.

3. Jamie Woodward - Aug 4, 2010 at 8:04 PM

shaq is still plenty good. Celtics will use him wisely. This is a great move for them and if he gets into good shape they have a good chance as any tem to win it all.

4. Dr. Rob - Aug 4, 2010 at 8:20 PM

*y’all are
    *trying
    *would have
    *could do it

5. Anonymous - Aug 4, 2010 at 8:21 PM

ok fair enough he was dominant but I really think that he rubbed the buss family the wrong way on a few occasions and i would be surprised to see his #34 up there but time does heal all wounds i guess…

6. Bergler - Aug 4, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Yea Shac might be able to help them a little but the really signed him because they know the HEAT is on. Lakers & Heat NBA Finals 2011. Wade, LBron, Bosh, and Co. are going to be hard to beat, Go Heat!

7. BillyBobG - Aug 4, 2010 at 8:33 PM

I think Shaq made a good move, he can’t go out and find a “JOB” anywhere that would pay him $1.2Million for playing a game he can “float” through. That is if he can get to the end of the court and back without having a Heart Attach. Good luck Big Boy=====

8. Anonymous - Aug 4, 2010 at 8:39 PM

quick question, how do u know the heat is going to be hard to beat when nobody has seen them play together as a team yet. Yes wade, lebron, bosh are great players alone but when they play together is one of there egos going to get in the way. As a true bball fan im not gonna jump on the heat going to the finals bandwagon until i see them play.

9. Tony - Aug 4, 2010 at 8:40 PM

one would think the lakers did some serious domination over the celtics in last years finals. the series i watched was a very competitive hard fought match-up with the celtics losing their grip in a close game 7 that they could have won.
    and yes shaq was the reason LA won the titles when he was there, not kobe.

10. Cordae - Aug 4, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Shaq was the reason. You win titles with dominant big people, not guards..

11. greg - Aug 4, 2010 at 9:10 PM

12 pounts and 7 rebounds is running on fumes for shaq then damn every center other than like 4 are running on fumes. he put up 21 pounts in a loss to the celtics. he wants to win he can dominate i dont know what jermaine has left

12. sdfdfdf - Aug 4, 2010 at 9:12 PM

you cared enough to click on the link, read the article, and respond to it.

13. asdasas - Aug 4, 2010 at 9:17 PM

you cared enough to click on the link, read the article, and respond to it.

14. Shark the Lakers Fan - Aug 4, 2010 at 9:25 PM

LOL this so dam funny. I like your comment.:) Just made them look like the senior citizen team of the NBA. “Anybody got some Tea” I heard AARP is looking for them. We got the young bucks on the west coast. Go Lakers.

15. hnirobert - Aug 4, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Question to Celts fans: Will you be chanting “Beat LA!” next year when the Heat beat you in the playoffs?

16. john - Aug 4, 2010 at 10:45 PM

This is a gigntic move for the Celtics. A truly veteran team is a great fit for Shaq. I am officially a Boston Celtics fan for the 2010-2011 NBA season. Just think, who is going to match up with the bulk of Shaq and Big Baby. Nobody, Boston now has two big men who are able to conrol the paint at basket range, and mid-range all the way up to the foul line. Shaq of course has slowed down considerably. But who can control him at basket range in the paint. Not even Dwight Howard is capable of handling Shaq in the paint. And Shaq is 38 yrs. old. And Big Baby is the most versatile 6’9″ 280-300 pounder that the league has. This, barring any major injuries, is going to be a difficult team to matchup against. Rondo will exploit the fact that he has such a large target in Shaq to spoon feed the ball to down low. A in shape Shaquille O’neal will be a an excellent fit for the Boston Celtics. Remember I said “in shape”. I believe he will be. His legacy depends on it.
    John

17. Drew - Aug 4, 2010 at 11:23 PM

“Lakers have the best front line in the nba still. don’t forget who won the championship. If we’d of had a healthy bynum, Celtics would of got swept.”
    The Celtics won Game 2 when Bynum was the best player on the floor for the Lakers. I also doubt the Lakers would’ve won three straight in Boston with a healthy Bynum. On another note, the Shaq signing is a good move for the Celtics.

18. BallerIQ - Aug 4, 2010 at 11:27 PM

Hope Shaq can keep the ego in check, cause if not, it won’t be pretty for the C’s chemistry.

19. CF98 - Aug 5, 2010 at 8:55 AM

I hate Shaq and the Celtics so this is great to me

20. Celticsman - Aug 5, 2010 at 10:12 AM

You Laker Fans Are funny…..If Bynum was Healthy???If a bullfrog had wings??? You know the rest….Perkins injury was the Turning point of the series. He stays healthy and Lakers Lose…You made it sound like the lakers were Dominating….not…4-3 is not dominating….As for Shaq…Nice fill in while Perkins heals up…O’neal will get mins too….My fear is with Thibidoux gone the defense will suffer…..

21. Brinks - Aug 5, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Bynum was fine. He played better than I’ve ever seen him play. Realistically If Kendrick Perkins played Celtics would have won in 6

22. Brinks - Aug 5, 2010 at 10:21 AM

23. i see dead people - Aug 5, 2010 at 10:21 AM

its funny how everytime there is an article regarding the celtics, heat or magic…there are about 50 laker fans who chime in with their usual prayers to the black mamba rapist or how they are going back to back to back or both
    i see lots of scared lakers fans, lots

24. jaided - Aug 5, 2010 at 10:39 AM

You Boston fans if perkins wasnt injured they would of won thats all bs. enough with the excuses. They were in it the whole game 7 they just choked and lost. f*** if perkins would of been their, they choked. u Boston fans are wack, Red sox suck now the celtics got slower go watch hockey the bruins have a good shot. If bynum isnt hurt the whole finals, no game 7 snatch faces. lakers didnt dominate but they got the bling bling. enough with the excuses. Just let me here u say it whos the champions loser?

25. Gary - Aug 5, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Well I saw Shaq last night at the Justin Beber concert and was standing next to him when he said ok on the phone to playing with the Celtics. I am a big fan of Shaq and even a bigger fan of the LAKERS! I would not have thought Shaq would ever play for the team we Lakers fans hate the most. Its a business i know and thats what one of his friends said. I still am a Shaq fan but disappointed. I do hope to see his 34 in the rafters in LA and so deserved. But the celtics :-( I have never rooted for the Celtics) But i will hope Shaq plays well. Miami, I liked them until LJ went there. They will be a team to reckon with but for now my Lakers will three peat. This make for a wild season for us all to watch. Have fun everyone and
    GO LAKERS!!!

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches